DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Uk to France Postal Times.

Posted by Aroncb - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Pumuckel - 13 years ago

Well, some good news at last: received a letter today, June 4th, that was posted in the UK (London) two days ago, June 2nd - it had a 1st class stamp on it! Beats me!

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 13 years ago

To revive this topic.

I've been waiting for a letter posted in West London on 12th. May.  It arrived today.  Disgraceful,  was my first thought ....

When I looked at the back of the envelope,  there was a sticker on it from Royal Mail :

"The sender didn't pay enough Airmail postage on this item,  so we had to divert it to an alternative service - sorry if there was a delay."

It had a UK First Class stamp on it,  which many people, myself included, assume is correct for the whole of the EU.  It isn't, and there are special EU stamps which cost a few pence more which should be used.

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 14 years ago

I've also had letters returned with only one minor mistake in the address, for example two digits transposed in the postcode, or a digit missing in the street number.  There are about 25 houses in our street and they follow the 'distance from start' numbering system,  ie 268 and 376 can be next to each other.  Our names are not exactly common in this environment,  but no,  they return the stuff rather than make the minimum effort required.

I don't think most of this is the Postman's fault ..... he is the last link in a long chain with many weak links

Sorry no image available
Posted by szozu - 14 years ago

I've had letters returned to the US with absolutely the correct address, while a letter from the Impots managed to arrive with a fantasy address fit for a children's book: "street of the little bear."

Lana

Sorry no image available
Posted by Trudie-183812 - 14 years ago

I must be really lucky.

I forgot to send something down with my dad on Monday 17th May so I posted the small package at 11am Tuesday 18th and it arrived in Le Rouret on Friday 21st. I don't think 3-4 days is bad.

Trudie

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 14 years ago

The Good Saint is right, knowing the local postperson means that once your post is in that person's hand it is certain to be delivered, and it is also possible to have the concierge/neighbour sign for things on your behalf.

Magazines and bulk mailed items often take a long time because they are routed through Holland or Germany to take advantage of cheaper rates there.  The publisher ships a huge parcel to Germany and a company there unwraps it at remails the individual mags.

Now I think of it I get a lot of letters from Switzerland that always arrive within a couple of days, so I think the delays depend on the route the letter takes.

Tony

Sorry no image available
Posted by stgeorge-182529 - 14 years ago

I agree I'm generalising, but I also bung the posty a decent Christmas Box ( in exchange for the PTT calender) to look after my interests - or is this another tradition lost in the mists of time ?

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 14 years ago

St. G

You are generalising a lot.

Not all the English speakers here are Brits or 'whingeing Poms'.Not all the Brits watch Sky TVMany of the English speakers speak perfect FrenchAt least in my case, the letters which took an unacceptable time to arrive were business letters in printed envelopes, invalidating your comment about the 'whingeing Poms forgetting how to write properly'.

Sorry no image available
Posted by ifs-194624 - 14 years ago

George, for sure I don't have fluent French.  But not sure that means I should sign saying I have received a letter when presented only with an opened and empty envelope! 

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 14 years ago

I also had a problem with the self-adhesive "Marianne" stamps. They dont stick too well, and often come off in transit.  If the letter looks important it gets delivered and the receiver has to go to the post office to pay the postage.  If its just a post card it gets put in the circular file.

Last time I bought stamps I asked for proper stamps that you lick.  The La Poste girl gave me a funny look, perhaps I got it slightly wrong in French, anyway she sold me sheet of collector stamps.  They take up half the envelope, but are guaranteed to accompany the letter to the destination.

Tony