Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.


Unemployed, under 25 - entitled to the RMI benefit

Posted by dilys-191303 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0

I am a single parent, self-employed language teacher with a 19 year old daughter.  She has been seriously ill and, although she has had a job within the system, has her Social Security Number and her Carte Vitale, she had not worked enough hours to be eligible for Sick Pay.  She was then signed off her job at the end of the season (having been promised winter work - but that's another story).  Her hours over the season do not add up to enough hours for her to be eligible for Unemployment Benefit, she was told to apply for the RMI.  She was then told that this is only for people over 25 or (if under 25) for single/low paid parents.

Is she entitled to anything?

My status as a self-employed person is such that my salary fluctuates - I can cope with this when just supporting myself and the housing costs.  Maybe I am entitled to the RMI as a supplement to my income (I am well over 25!)

My daughter is registered with the ASSEDIC and ANPE they are being great with her as far as offering all sorts of free courses is concerned, but we are at a loss re: her living expenses.

Does anybody have any experience of this branch of the benefit system?



Sorry no image available

4 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 4)

Sorry no image available
Posted by jast - 14 years ago

Thanks Madcat - I'll try the CAF, my student base is slowly building, so something that is flexible from month to month would suit.  I see the ASSEDIc at the beginning of each month to let them know how my earnings are creeping up, I find them very helpful.  I just need a little assistance whilst I'm also supporting my daughter.

Thanks once again


Sorry no image available
Posted by madcat - 14 years ago

Hello, me again, have you thought about going to the CAF - Caisse D'assurance Familiale?  You could be entitled to a contribution to your rent, aide au logement.  Go and see them, take all your admin papers with you i.e. ID, rent cheques, gas bill bla bla and explain your case to them - you don't make an appointment, you just turn up, take a ticket and wait until an adviser can see you.  Could be worth a try. madcat

Sorry no image available
Posted by madcat - 14 years ago

The RMI is about 350 euros a month - and it's quite possible your daughter is not entitled to it.  The Assédic are the people to ask.  As for you, I'm afraid if you earn a salary of any sort you're not entitled to RMI.  RMI being Ressource Minimum d'Insertion - i.e. for those no longer entitled to chommage and trying to find work.  This course idea sounds good though.  However nice the French system is, too many people have been exploiting it and they're cracking down now.  But at least paid courses is still something not many European countries can provide.  This could be a blessing in disguise.  Damn it's tough being skint, especially in the Riviera!madcat

Sorry no image available
Posted by coolas - 14 years ago

I have a young friend of 20 who is currently studying French through the anpe and is being paid for it - about 350E a month.  I suspect if your daughter signs on for some sort of course with them, she would get some kind of stipend like the one I've mentioned.  It's not loads of money, but it's better than nothing and she'll have the opportunity to learn and get paid for it.

Best of luck.