DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Universal remote angst

Posted by szozu - Created: 13 years ago
0 0

The remote control for my Daewoo TV is no longer working. Only some of the buttons work and they need to be pressed several times before anything happens, so I guess it's a problem with the circuit board or the contacts. I contacted Daewoo and was told that it would be 20 EUR for the remote and 11 EUR to ship it, so I happened upon a cheap universal remote today and bought it. The English instructions were so cryptic that I ended using the French ones, but even then...! It must have been translated from Martian to Tibetan to Korean to French to English and a few basic operating concepts apparently got lost in the translation.

Anyway, there were two codes listed for Daewoo and neither seem to work, unless I'm not following the instructions correctly. With one of the Daewoo codes only the individual channel buttons work and I cannot scan the channels, adjust the volume or turn the TV on and off. With the other code, I still can't turn the TV on and off and all the buttons have a function different from the ones labelled. The channel buttons don't change channels and perform functions like adjusting the volume! One of the volume buttons scans the channels, the other one puts the TV on mute, just to give you an idea.

So what do I do now??? Should I just set my TV permanently to ARTE or allow Daewoo to blackmail me into sending them a cheque for a remote that works? Or is there a secret source of Daewoo codes out there somewhere? The universal remote is not a brand name and doesn't even have a brand on the packaging, so it's pointless to try contacting them.

Lana (good thing I don't watch TV very often!)

Sorry no image available

8 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 8)

Sorry no image available
Posted by szozu - 13 years ago

TonyP:

Just so you know; the first thing I did was change the batteries. The second thing I did was research the internet to find out what causes the types of problems I have been experiencing. The third thing I did was contact Daowoo and the last thing I did was to buy a universal remote and give myself a BIG headache!

There are web sites that explain in detail how to go about fixing a worn out remote, but most of the instructions are just to fiddly to even consider. None of them involve duct tape, though a few do suggest various types of adhesive foil or special glues.

http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/sam/irrfaq.htm

Lana

Sorry no image available
Posted by ajeynes - 13 years ago

I agree with everyone who has said universal remotes are a nightmare.  I recently spent the best part of an evening trying to program one to use with my wireless tv system.  Eventually gave up!!!

Big salute to the inventer of duct tape though.  Have just completed a rather interesting plumbing job with the help of several metres of the wonderful stuff!!!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 13 years ago

It is true that you can't cure all of Life's Pesky Problems with a new battery, but you can cure a lot of them..

The ones you cant cure with a battery you can cure either with duct tape or with WD-40.

A weak battery is the usual cause of TV remote problems, it still works but the IR beam is very dim so the TV misses some of the codes.

It could be a contact problem if you have spilt a drink on it.  If a new battery doesnt work, I would pry it open and clean it up.  If it doesnt work anyway you are not risking anything, and if you break the case you can repair it with duct tape.....

Tony

Sorry no image available
Posted by szozu - 13 years ago

TonyP:

Do you really think the solution to Life's Pesky Problems can be a simple battery change? This is either a circuit board problem or worn contacts on the buttons. I tried prying the remote apart to have a look-see but risk breaking the thing if I exert any more force.

Legend and Mike:

It's not the 20 EUR that I object to for a replacement remote, but the additional 11 EUR shipping charge. This is neither a Fabergé egg nor a hard drive. It's a simple lightweight remote that only needs a bit of bubble wrap around it to survive its journey from Daewoo to my letter box. I may have another go-round with my "universal" remote to see if I can crack the code. I didn't have nearly as many problems when programming a universal remote years ago in the States, but of course the instructions were in real English.

If I were a Supreme Being I would sent universal remote manufacturers to a private hell filled with various makes and models of television sets and assign them the task of cracking the code for each and every one of them before being allowed to reincarnate.

Lana

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 13 years ago

Sorry that you're having a problem,  but I agree that €31 seems very reasonable for a replacement remote. 

There is a way of programming the 'Universal' ones when you don't know the code, but it is incredibly time consuming as it requires you to risk RSI by running it through every permutation of codes until it might hit the right one.  They are a pain.

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 13 years ago

Did you try changing the battery in the Daewoo remote?Tony

Sorry no image available
Posted by legend_in_my_lunchtime-182603 - 13 years ago

Whenever I see terms such as "universal remote" etc I smile sourly at the recognition of another lame oxymoron.  Sort of like "Microsoft Works" or "United Nations" if you get my drift.

Why do you feel 31 Euros (inlusive of shipping) is tantamount to blackmail Lana?  I think it is very reasonable and I wold have gione for it in your situation.  Sheesh - I had to pay Philips 89 Euros for their bona fide remote control AND I had to drive to the service centre in Nice to pick it up.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Humptydingo-180377 - 13 years ago

Have a really good look at this website - within it somewhere there are several codes for Daewood TVs

www.remotecentral.com/features.htm