DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Urgent does anyone know....

Posted by ruby-197471 - Created: 13 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

7 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 7)

Sorry no image available
Posted by ruby-197471 - 13 years ago

hi No 6...I have sent you email...spiteful wife was to be honest very distressed at the time...crying and wailing non stop....I did feel sorry for her though her behaviour has cost me

As for the chap...he is really sly and nasty...he even CUT off all the points where the lightbulbs went so I had to get electrician in after because he couldn't be bothered to unscrew the light bulbs...lightbulbs are only 20 centimes or so...so you see why I feel the way I do

Thank you for your advice so far...I appreciate it...also he didn't OWN the washing machine...but made me give him the money...not nice...

Sorry no image available
Posted by No.6 - 13 years ago

Well Ruby,you do seem to have been somewhat of an indirect victim of the mean-sprited sod's and the spiteful wife's bitter arguments! But I'm not so sure that this constitutes wilful criminal damage that you could successfully sue them for..

The best would have been for you to get them to recognise at the time - during a calmer moment, perhaps - that their strife made you suffer the cost of getting your sewers unblocked.  Equally, it would have been better if you'd managed to get them to pay for the damage and for fixing the electronic (front?) door at the time.  My feeling is that it's always going to be far more difficult to obtain compensation after the event(s), although there is, I believe, a small claims court procedure in France for that sort of thing, if you can be bothered to pursue it.

What I would not advise, however, is compensating yourself out of your portion of the Taxe Foncière, especially, as I said, if it was written into the sale contract that you shall pay your due portion (equally, it follows that it might well be worth checking that it is indeed the case!).

Sorry no image available

ahha..OK BUT after I came here I found that they had chucked the material down the toilet which they MUST have known about and that it would cause damage to the property..in the UK this would actually be classed as criminal damage...and also the electronic door was broken and i had to pay to fix that and it wasn't broekn  at the time of the sale...the divorce between these two were very bitter...she did not want it...

Sorry no image available

ahha..OK BUT after I came here I found that they had chucked the material down the toilet which they MUST have known about and that it would cause damage to the property..in the UK this would actually be classed as criminal damage...and also the electronic door was broken and i had to pay to fix that and it wasn't broekn  at the time of the sale...the divorce between these two were very bitter...she did not want it...

Sorry no image available

Sorry no image available

Sorry no image available
Posted by No.6 - 13 years ago

Hmm.. I'd be careful if I were you!  If your notaire put a clause in the acte de vente that you will pay your pro rata portion of the Taxe Foncière, then the vendor will have recourse against you if you don't pay the due amount.   

These other goods that you paid for are quite a separate affair - the fact that you now regret paying for things that you agreed to at the time is not something you can easily 'undo'... presumably they had a value to you at the time (and still do to some extent), regardless of whether 'he' paid for them individually or not...