Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.


US citizen needs rec for private medical ins.

Posted by vcheng - Created: 13 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

2 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 2)

Sorry no image available
Posted by SammyT-194551 - 13 years ago

Hi Vernon-

You should definitely join up with the French Social Security - it's not expensive, and like Mike said, it's mandatory.  I only have the SS, and no additional private insurance, and I'm constantly suprised by how much is covered - most things are reimbursed at 60 or 70%. 

For example, doctor's visits cost 20 euros, and I'm reimbursed 14E of that.  Same with most prescriptions - I currently pay 2.53 E total for a three month supply of a medication that cost me $18 per month in the US. 

It's 10 million times better than our system - over there, I paid $1200/yr for my health insurance, but had a $500 deductible, and practically nothing was covered - not even the standard "preventatory" exams, like yearly eye exam, OB-GYN, etc.  I was hardly reimbursed for meds either.  What a waste of $$.  Plus, I think that once you are in the system here, you are covered in other EU countries, but you might want to verify that in the fact sheets listed above.  Otherwise, I have no doubt someone else will reply to correct me!


Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 13 years ago

If you are resident in France you obliged by law to enter the State health system. Opting out is not an option. Details on joining the CMU at AnglOINFO's INFOrmation Page on French Health Care for Expatriates.

For additional cover, see Health & Medical Insurance and also Insurance & Assurance in The AngloFILE.