Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.


US Plugs

Posted by VictoriaB-187745 - Created: 16 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

3 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 3)

Sorry no image available
Posted by szozu - 16 years ago

And some flat panel monitors are also capable of "knowing" whether to use  220 or 110 and will adapt to the correct hertz automatically. Newer "toys" meant to be portable, such as digital cameras switch automatically--you just need to either get an adapter or cut off the plug and install a French one, depending on whether this is a permanent move or not.

Don't plan on importing TVs, stereos or anything where hertz is an important factor.

Many of the websites that sell transformers can give you a great deal education on all the ins and outs. "Know before you go!"


Sorry no image available
Posted by VictoriaB-187745 - 16 years ago

Thank you for the info David! VictoriaB

Sorry no image available
Posted by davidl-181802 - 16 years ago

Totally different plugs and the electricity is 220v not 110v.

If the electrical item cannot be changed from 220v to 110v (most laptops have this ability automatically, some computer powersupplies have a toggle on them for 220v or 110v operation) then you need a step down transformer.

If not you just need a cheap adaptor - try the airport on the way out :)