DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

vaccines for South Africa?

Posted by Inspire-189045 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

6 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 6)

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 14 years ago

Thanks, Inspire, for the vote of confidence!    However Aroncb is absolutely correct in saying (as I did!) that you should talk to a professional regarding the malaria issue especially.

And again, feel free to contact me for any information you may require about SA. - it's the country I lived on for the best part of my adult life and know better than any other.

Sorry no image available
Posted by JPB-188466 - 14 years ago

Try this website for infowww.fitfortravel.scot.nhs.ukJulieJulie

Sorry no image available
Posted by Inspire-189045 - 14 years ago

After using AngloInfo for almost a year now, I happen to know that this particular contributer knows what he's talking about on this subject.   Did you notice that he has offered to reccommended professionals?  Thanks again Mike for taking the time!  

Sorry no image available
Posted by Aroncb - 14 years ago

Inspire,

Not to be-little MikeP's advice but I'd talk to a doctor or two.  Personally I find getting medical advice from a series of laymen on a local forum a frightening concept...  no matter how well intentioned or knowledgable. 

If there is conflicting advice on the net you'll probably get it here too.

a

Sorry no image available
Posted by Inspire-189045 - 14 years ago

Thanks Mike, that has answered the question.      I will pass on the info, and will get in touch if any extra advice or those contacts are needed.

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 14 years ago

No vaccinations are compulsory.  However, a lot depends on where your friend is going.

If he/she is going to be visiting normal tourist areas and cities,  then there is no need for anything, but if going to rural areas then hepatitis ('C' I think) is recommended.  Talk to a doctor.  I can recommend an English doctor in Valbonne who is very clued up on this,  and also a South African pharmacist in Cannes who could give excellent advice. (I am not naming them as I suspect it is against medical ethics and AI's T&C's)

Where you may have heard conflicting reports is regarding malaria,  which is prevalent in certain areas at certain times of the year, and against which the correct prophylaxis should be taken.  Primarily malaria is prevalent mainly but not exclusively in the lowveld areas in the South African summer.  That is the Mpumalanga (Eastern Transvaal) area and the borders with Mozambique,  which includes many of the game parks (Kruger amongst others).  If he/she is going to Cape Town, Johannesburg and other main cities,  the malaria risk is nil.

South Africa has some of the world's best (for those who can afford them) hospitals and clinics, and sadly, some of the worst for those who can't.  The message is that adequate medical insurance is a must although the likelihood of anything happening is low.  Standards of hygiene and cleanliness in the places that tourist and business people normally visit are very high - quite up to Western European standards.

You are more than welcome to contact me directly for any further information on South Africa.