Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.


Visa/Carte de Sejour: American married to E.U.

Posted by chris j-184823 - Created: 17 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyPenn-192606 - 14 years ago

See also here:[url="http://riviera.angloinfo.com/information/1/cds.asp"]Carte de Sejour[/url]***********TonyPenn

Sorry no image available
Posted by chris j-184823 - 14 years ago

Thank you for link to Your Europe website. Great. Under "You are retired and want to live in another member state," which is our situation, there is complete agreement with what you say. However, taking the additional option "Situation in France", one reads:

If you are retired...


This seems reasonable if we can do it all at the Mairie!



Sorry no image available
Posted by arnold-196283 - 14 years ago

You don't need any of that stuff.

What you do is apply for a Carte de Sejour Europeenne. The only things that they are legally permitted to ask you for are 1) proof of ID (normally your passport) and 2) proof of relationship.

The "proof of relationship" is normally your marriage certificate but, for instance, if you wanted to bring your non-european mother-in-law to France, it would be your partners birth certificate (to prove that she was his mother).

This is all covered at http://europa.eu.int/youreurope/nav/en/citizens/home.html . It's best to print out the French version of the residency page to hand to the mairie (they can't require you to go to the prefecture as French people only go to the mairie for their ID documents therefore to require you to go to the prefecture would be discrimination and under the European legislation, they are required to treat you as though you were French).

In particular they can't require you to provide: livret de famille, proof of residence or your spouse's birth certificate. Nor to take the medical. Nor to provide proof of resources, social security, health, etc. information.

The European legislation is VERY specific in identifying the only documents that they are allowed to ask for: proof of ID plus proof of relationship. This only applies if one of you is European.




Sorry no image available
Posted by lulu-183463 - 16 years ago

hi. here's the list for your first fun visit to the prefecture. (you'll have to go back a couple of times. totally unavoidable): valid passport, livret de famille, proof of residence (telephone or other utility bill), 3 recent (passport size) photos, one recent (passport size) photo of your husband, your husband's birth certificate (specifically, l'extrait d'acte de naissance du conjoint francais revetu des mentions marginales'. if he doesn't have this, he can request it from the townhall where he was born.), your husband's carte nationale d'identite securisee. your husband must be present for each visit. you need photocopies of some of these but there is a coin photocopy machine there. you will receive a temporary titre de sejour. after your first visit, you'll receive a dr's appt in the mail to get an x-ray of your lungs and see an appointed doctor for roughly a one minute visit :-) then you return to the prefecture for a second visit with a signed paper from the doctor. FUN, so far, isn't it? oh btw, i've been twice and didn't have any problems with a line as i've shown up at around 11am. took about an hour each time. i now have a one-year titre de sejour until my 1 yr wedding anniversary happens, which is when i'm eligible to receive my 10 yr titre de sejour which means i'll have to return for one more visit. so if you've been married more than a year you'll have one less trip than me. for whichever is your last visit, you'll also need: photocopy of your temp titre de sejour on your passport, proof of resources (bank statement or 3 last paycheck statements), french social security card, 3 more recent photos, proof of residence, livret de famille, self-addressed (your address) stamped envelope, and a OMI (Ofc des Migrations Internationales) stamp which costs 55 euros. i hope i didn't leave out anything. PLEASE double check some sites!! wouldn't want you to waste any trips to the prefecture. good luck. L

Sorry no image available
Posted by Charlee-181196 - 16 years ago

Hi Lulu!

I am an American citizen married to EU citizen and living in France since 98. I arrived here with a 3 months visa was able to apply for a 1 yr. temporary carte de sejour. At the end of this year as I was still married I was able to get a 10 yr. carte de sejour. All this went down with no hassles accept standing in line at the prefecture. Feel free to email me if you would like any other info that I might provide.

Bon courage,


Sorry no image available
Posted by lulu-183463 - 16 years ago

hi mitra, no i didn't apply for a long stay visa as they've changed the law recently. you do need some other things upon arrival, however. please email me if you'd like because i check that much more often than the site. L

Sorry no image available
Posted by Mitra-185888 - 16 years ago

Dear Lulu,

I just read your posting. I am in exactly the same situation and american married to EU-citizen. We are about to move to France and wanted to know if I need to apply for long stay visa in France. My assumption is that if my husband is an eu-citizen and can apply for carte de sejour and I am automatically entitled to one do I really need a lomg stay visa in France.

Did you apply for a long stay visa before entering France?

Many thanks in advance,


Sorry no image available
Posted by lulu-183463 - 17 years ago

hi chris, i just got my carte de sejour. i'm american married to an e.u. please email me if you have specific questions. fyi: i've been to the prefecture twice and arrived at 11am for the first visit and 11:30am for the second. i was there about an hour total per visit. it might help to go on fridays which is when i've gone. (so i was fortunate enough to not have the hellacious belligerent administrator, nor the pushing shoving, long line experience at 8:30am that i keep hearing about on angloinfo.) good luck and don't worry!

Sorry no image available
Posted by wendy-179831 - 17 years ago

Hi Chris

The EU Web site has a very useful section here with the full low-down: http://citizens.eu.int/originchoice.htm

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 17 years ago

In straightforward, non-legalese terms: if one of you has the automatic right to a titre de séjour (e.g. being an EU citzen with the right paperwork) then the other gets an automatic right to the same document, although it will state that your status is subject to the fact - in crude terms - that you retain your relationship and the first party retains their titre de séjour.So yes: you are OK.**************Mike