DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Voting in the South African Elections

Posted by MartinS-188518 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0

Just in case you thought you were eligible to vote in the South African elections.. you cant! Ha ha ha.

http://www.elections.org.za/papers/93/Overseas%20Votin21.pdf

Thats right even if you are a South African citizen and have a South African passport you are not entitled to vote in the April elections if you are out of the country for anything other than a short stay.

So bummer to the South Africans working in London alone who would represent 24 seats in parliament.

Sorry no image available

9 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 9)

Sorry no image available
Posted by MartinS-188518 - 14 years ago

I found this which probably covers the subject quite well.

It appears that South Africans have a huge problem with their country folk if they leave the country to live abroad. Even the social democrats seem to agree that xpats should forfeit their right to vote.

http://www.news24.com/News24/South_Africa/News/0,,2-7-1442_1422074,00.html

A spokesperson for the main opposition Democratic Alliance, Sakkie Pretorius, said if the ANC were serious about addressing the "worrying trend of young people living abroad temporarily", the party should allow them to vote.

"There is no logical reason why the ANC and the government should in any way limit a person who is abroad temporarily in regard to his or her right to vote," Pretorius said.

He added that the only ones who had given up that right were South Africans who had emigrated or had taken up permanent residence abroad.

The only party which seems to be fighting for this right is the Freedom Front. Now without dwelling too much on this, how can a far right wing party with an unmentionable racist doctrine be the only party fighting for the rights of expats to vote .. and of course the big question is who is going to cough up the dosh to take the government to the constitutional court?

http://www.ukkasie.com/expats/background.asp

"All citizens are . . . (a) equally entitled to the rights, privileges and benefits of citizenship"
The right to vote is therefore a right and privilege directly linked to citizenship , whether you are an expat or not.

Sorry no image available
Posted by jmroberts-180597 - 14 years ago

Oops, same URL as MartinS's....

Sorry no image available
Posted by jmroberts-180597 - 14 years ago

Here's something I received a while back:

Independent Electoral Commission
Please click below to check if you are registered for the 2004 elections.

http://www.elections.org.za/Am_register.asp

From what I heard we are supposed to be able to vote... I haven't looked into it, but here's a link with additional info:

https://www.elections.org.za/library1.asp?KSId=14&iKid=3

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 14 years ago

I can't find the article I referred to as it was published several weeks ago.  but in a more recent I've found something which basically says that the IEC has been unable to shed any light on the issue.  Working holidays will not be regarded as holidays, but when asked to define 'working holiday' the spokesman said that each application would be evaluated by an official, based on 'information filled out on the form'.

If anyone wants this article, and any others I may find,  I'll fax it to you.

Sorry no image available

quote:Ironically, if you are a South African who lives and works overseas for the government  then you are allowed to vote.

Martin :  That's not ironic.  That's African politics!

Sorry no image available
Posted by MartinS-188518 - 14 years ago

Tigger .. its not funny at all.

Mike .. I phoned the South African consulate in Monaco and Paris. The attaché in Paris advised me it was not possible to vote in the elections and referred me to the Electoral Commission. Hence the article dated 5 Feb.

Ironically, if you are a South African who lives and works overseas for the government  then you are allowed to vote.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Candice-191555 - 14 years ago

Mikep Please let us know about the article you have.  The result may be a foregone conclusion but if all the South Africans around the world are allowed to vote, it may make a slight difference. 

Sorry no image available

Martin

That information conflicts with that published in a recent newspaper article which I have at home and will look up later.   It implied that the eligibility to vote was far broader than the definitions in the document you have referenced.

However as the result of the election is a foregone conclusion (I mean, they're not going to bring back PW are they!),  it only really matters insofar as that all citizens should have the right to vote if they wish.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Tigger-191229 - 14 years ago

And this makes you so happy because...?