DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

wanadoo connection drops out

Posted by WarrenD - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

9 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 9)

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 14 years ago

quote:the France Telecom site says that the 06140 postcode has ADSL available

But not at all addresses in the 06140 postcode area; we've been promised ADSL "next month" since November 2002, and it still hasn't happened... :-(

quote:I have never heard of any differences between USA modems and French modems other than the cables and power supplies

The US telephone system uses Bell tones, while the French system uses CCITT tones - these are subtly different to one another and, back in the old days when fast modems did 1200bps, some US market modems wouldn't work in France and vice versa.

As far as UK modems are concerned, UK regulations used to specify that the cable from the modem to the wall was hard-wired into the modem (rather than being a clip-in replaceable cable that could be swapped out to cater for different sockets, such as BT, RJ-11 etc.). This meant that UK modems were only practical to use in the UK unless you used a (nigh-on unobtainable) BT -> RJ-11 -> FT adapter, which was so back-heavy that it had a tendency to fall out of the wall if the air pressure changed by one millibar. But since modems were homologated on a country-by-country basis back then, your modem was almost certainly illegal to use in France anyway...

Mike

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 14 years ago

I have never heard of any differences between USA modems and French modems other than the cables and power supplies.  UK modems with a telephone socket are wired differently, so if you plug a UK phone in a non-UK modem the phone wont ring.

All the modems I have ever owned have worked everywhere.

I used to have a Wanadoo dial-up connection and the dropped line was very common.  It was a Wanadoo problem.  I had a number of dial-up accounts, Wanadoo, Free, Tiscali and I would try them all in turn until one of them connected.  Often they would connect but would not respond.

Maybe try another free account.

The standard fix if a modem doesnt connect at all is to disable the "Wait for dial tone" option so the modem just waits a few seconds and then dials.

If your friend has ADSL available that is the way to go.  Dial-up is next to useless, especially now that people are giving up on email.

Tony

Sorry no image available
Posted by Pumuckel - 14 years ago

quote:Re "You may want to update your modem driver and get the latest Windows security updates" A modem connection to access MSoft updates would help!

...or properly registering your Windows version and get updates on CD, provided you can give a UK delivery address (Microsoft only offers that service to people living in the UK).

Pumuckel

Sorry no image available
Posted by Beach Bum - 14 years ago

If you are looking for a french modem I have a near new one to sell. I recently upgraded to broadband. Email me if you are interested.

Sorry no image available
Posted by kikimiki - 14 years ago

that's is a viruse dude take a screen shot of this message and email it to mail this is has nothing to do with the drivers or the modemkiki

Sorry no image available
Posted by irishman-180738 - 14 years ago

Yes the France Telecom site says that the 06140 postcode has ADSL available.

Sorry no image available
Posted by WarrenD - 14 years ago

Thank you guys for your tips.

Re "You may want to update your modem driver and get the latest Windows security updates" A modem connection to access MSoft updates would help!

Re"a regionalization utility program", YES I found that this driver is a UK only (well USA actually). I then scoured the web for an international conexant soft modem driver and found that it uses a file called mdmgl004.inf so I found another mdmgl004.inf file with regional settings and replaced it - Still no joy. I think I need to get a 'french soft modem driver (unlikely) or a french modem.

Now looking for french conexant soft PC modem driver with french settings or PIC modem card.

PS ADSL anywhere near Tourettes Sur Loup?

Sorry no image available
Posted by Pumuckel - 14 years ago

You may want to update your modem driver and get the latest Windows security updates. I had a similar problem and someone recommended updating my system. Everything works well now.

Pumuckel

Sorry no image available
Posted by irishman-180738 - 14 years ago

Most modem manufacturers supply a regionalization utility program to set the country of use.