DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Wanadoo Disconnecting After 24 hours ?

Posted by t-stag-180429 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

6 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 6)

Sorry no image available
Posted by simonwynne - 14 years ago

Some american friends where on France telecoms wanadoo adsl and also kept loosing service and drop offs in the middle of downloading...

as I use NC cable and internet with them and rarely has the service been off.....although sometimes the internet slows up due to the backhaul going through FT at least the connection stays up 24/24.......I find using 512 a good deal for the moment....needless to say my american friends are happerier with nc plus getting a package deal for both tv and internet...plus good movies in NC's kiosk in vm/vo....

good luck

Simonice

Sorry no image available
Posted by t-stag-180429 - 14 years ago

Thanks for the information, will do some research into the options suggested.  Steve

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 14 years ago

I subscribed to Nerim in order to get a free fixed IP address and to set up remote VPNs.

Apparently Free also offers a free fixed IP inow f you ask for it.  Most of the other ISPs either dont offer the option, or charge a lot for it.

Tony

Sorry no image available
Posted by Doug-181340 - 14 years ago

I changed my standard France Telecom 'fish' modem to a Netgear DG824M: adsl modem / router / firewall / wifi all-in-one box and it's great. There's probably a newer version out now but mine works a treat. It automatically reconnects when it detects the broken connection so it's all transparent. It still means you'll pick up a different IP address each time you connect, but it also has a built in function if you subscribe to a service like that suggested by jjoepage (the built in one is dyndns.org - but I'm sure nopip.com would work too)

Best tech investment I've made in a long time.

Sorry no image available
Posted by jjoepage - 14 years ago

Much better than the expensive 'pro' service suggested by lunch, try www.NoIP.com.Its all good

Sorry no image available
Posted by legend_in_my_lunchtime-182603 - 14 years ago

Yes the standard dynamic service (i.e. non-permanent IP address) does behave like this.  I wouldn't call it a "problem".  The service to which you have subscribed is not suitable for distance access.  How were you thinking that it would work?  You would need an unchanging IP address.  You can get one if you subscribe to the "Pro" service.