DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Wanadoo/Orange broadband

Posted by GAnthony - Created: 11 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

5 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 5)

Sorry no image available
Posted by GAnthony - 11 years ago

By the way, my firmware version is V1.02.04.  This is the latest I think.

Sorry no image available
Posted by ChristopherL-188542 - 11 years ago

Exactly what firmware version did you upgrade to ChB?  You can see this on your router configuration page under "Router Status" - it is on the first line.

Sorry no image available
Posted by ChB-184121 - 11 years ago

I have had trouble with this, my Netgear 834G worked fine on 1Meg, but was not that much faster on 8 megs, it seems to freeze for a while then download rapidly for a while, then freeze again, so the net result was about the same as before. I upgraded the software from the Netgear site, but apparently the older units will not upgrade enough, and they suggest getting a new unit. But it still works OK, just not 8 times faster as I had hoped!

Sorry no image available
Posted by ChristopherL-188542 - 11 years ago

In principle it will work.  The difference between 1Mbps and the 2-8 Mbps is that you are talking about differences in the ADSL and the ADSL2 standards.  The Netgear DG834GT supports both.

However (standard caveat...) I've seen cases with ADSL2 connections where the line noise was such that a Netgear router worked well at 1 Mbps and did not work so well at 8 Mbps.  Whereas a Livebox on the same line worked consistently well.  I put this down to the Netgear chips being more sensitive than the Livebox (Sagem and Invetel chips).

Best thing is to just try it with your Netgear and be prepared to rent a Livebox if you have frequent problems.

Sorry no image available
Posted by michelle-180928 - 11 years ago

FWIW:I also have a Wanadoo/Orange account. I recently moved to an area where the 8MB service is available so I upgraded! I kept the Linksys I had before and it works just fine!-michelle.