DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Wanted: Rooibos Tea!

Posted by wendy-179831 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0

Do any SAfricans out there have a local source for Rooibos Tea? I'm clean out and missing it bad!

Thanks

Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Jacob - 14 years ago

Have you tried Honeybush (Cyclopia)? I reckon it's much nicer. Not seen it down here mind you, but it is in most health shops and Sainsbury's in the UK...

--
VerseGuru

Sorry no image available
Posted by wendy-179831 - 14 years ago

Thanks everyone for the information. I'm now well sorted for Rooibos! :-)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Miss Varna - 14 years ago

There is also a large tea shop at Cap 3000 just opposite the supermarket - they should have it, if not in the supermarket itself (large section of imported goods).

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rebel-193688 - 14 years ago

You can get it at Hediard shops at a price, and there is a little shop in Valbonne which has a variety of teas - in the narrow street which runs from the Old Mairie - it's not cheap there either.Rebel

Sorry no image available
Posted by elizabeth-180196 - 14 years ago

Hi I buy mine at Panoi (oriental tea shop) on Ave Jean Medecin in Nice; they also have African Grey and African Masala...

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 14 years ago

It does indeed have all the beneficial qualities Wendy mentions.  However it's an acquired taste,  one which I have not acquired, in fact just the smell makes me feel nauseous!

Sorry no image available
Posted by wendy-179831 - 14 years ago

yjme, I shall never tell the secret! OK, It's just dead delicious (if you like that sort of thing). It's the leaves of the "red bush" tree, indigenous to the (very beautiful) Cape Cedarburg mountains. The tea is red/gold, and with milk it's soft pink and it's very slightly sweet. It's said to be a cure-all (and is very good in a bottle for colicky babies). No caffeine, little tannin, no acids etc. Most of all, it just tastes great! More here: http://www.rooibosltd.co.za/

MikeP, thanks! But I’m sure I’ll come right with Monty & avsl’s suggestions.

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 14 years ago

Wendy

I've got enough at home to tide you over until we go to SA again (I was leaving on Friday but had to cancel) ,  if you're in the area give me a buzz and we'll give you some.  Also lots of places in UK sell it.

Sorry no image available
Posted by yjme-181229 - 14 years ago

Okay Wendy, what is so special about Rooibos tea, would love to know as I have never heard of it? Is it like Green tea? xx

Sorry no image available
Posted by Monty-190446 - 14 years ago

You can get rooibos in Vieux Nice at the little coffee shop (Cafe Indien? - something like that) on the street that links Rue de la Prefecture and Place Rosseti. They have loads of teas and coffees and the woman is really nice.