DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

wasps

Posted by riffa - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

5 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 5)

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 14 years ago

I believe so,  in greater numbers. They are quite dangerous especially to small children or elderly people, or around areas where you eat.  You should have it dealt with.

Sorry no image available
Posted by riffa - 14 years ago

Does anyone know if these things will still be there next year if I just leave them?

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 14 years ago

We had a hornets' nest (frelon) removed by the Pompiers a couple of years ago.  The charge seems to vary from one municipality to another, in ours it was free but they asked very diplomatically for a donation to cover the cost of the materials they used.  We gave them Fr 200 and they seemed delighted,  and two years on we've had no further hornet problem.

Sorry no image available
Posted by riffa - 14 years ago

Thanks very much!  I did think about sealing 'their' entrance to the roof but feared this might encourage them to explore the rest of the roof space, then attic, then attic door...

Thought about contacting the local mairie. They will presumably refer me to the firemen from what you say!

Sorry no image available
Posted by jjmiller - 14 years ago

My cousin and I used a 'bomber' which you use after dusk when they're inside and it shoots a glue that seals the end of the hive. Of course you probably can't buy the product here.

The other idea is that one of the duties of the Pompier (fireman) is to get rid of wasp nests for you. You have to pay them, I believe it's about 60€, but who knows.

Good luck.