DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

We have been burgled and are told we can't claim

Posted by Cheryl Lincoln - Created: 13 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by stgeorge-182529 - 13 years ago

I apologise for being so terse and do actually sympathise - very frustrating I know !

Rebel, your reply is completely illogical as  'it's a case of locking the stable door after the horse has bolted' which you refer to. You pay Insurance against a bona fide break- in, where door locks ( approved by Insurance Company with Invoices as proof !!) have been forced, or window catches forced or broken ( again should meet with insurance company approval), when you are away on holiday or the weekend or at home asleep in the winter ! However, if you have left your french or terrace windows open, it would seem reasonable to take extra precautions - especially in a Residence where you have probably been ' spotted' as being an easy target and the information passed to the 'outside' . You should in no way disregard the fact that there was probably an accomplice or informer in the Residence itself !!

There are all sorts of alarms and not necessarily expensive, on the market, just for this type of occurance -  an empty burglar alarm box on the outside wall is enough to deter the casual thief . I recently came across a simple and discreet movement sensor in Florida hooked up to a lighting sytem in a garage courtyard - i.e.you walk into the courtyard to get your car or a potential thief walks into the courtyard and all the lights go on ! This system could easily be hooked up at home and throw in a klaxon and revolving police style lamp ? They sell them off the shelf in Leroy Merlin !!

You don't specify whether you were the only ones burgled - has the Syndic/concierge of the Residence been informed ? Has a Proces Verbal been made out at the local police station ( for Insurance purposes ) ? Do you know how they broke into the Residence, or did someone carelessly let them in ? Digicodes known, following another car into the underground garage etc etc !

In conclusion, you will realise from the above comments that the onus is on you, the Insured, to protect your property, not on the Insurance Company and their conditions albeit often in the small print are quite clear - it is also pointless having an Insurance Contract in a language you don't understand !!

stgeorge

Sorry no image available
Posted by No.6 - 13 years ago

quote:Anyway the alarms you mention wouldn't stop anyone.

No?  Don't you think though that the ear-splitting siren, high-wattage tungsten lighting and automatic call to the local surveillance company as soon as someone approaches the property at night might just alert the houseowners that they have an unwelcome visitor?  

quote:Why should it cost extra when one is insured?

Geez, Rebel, you sound like Marie-Antoinette!  Whilst I can fully sympathise with Cheryl's misfortune, unfortunately a private alarm system may just be the minimum price one has to pay if one wants to sleep with one's terrace windows open at night in a 'luxury' villa on the CDA. You only have to chance a ride through certain council estates in la Zaine (Vallauris) or Ariane (Nice) to put certain realities of life into perspective..  and it's no wonder at all there are so many security companies in this region! 

Sorry no image available
Posted by ruby-197471 - 13 years ago

Yes but Rebel, St George does have a point 9though he ust have been feeling crabby or tired when he wrote that email cos it is a bit terse even for him)...think about it logically...anyone could say that I had the windows and I was burgled and demand money from an insurancfe comapny so you can't have that...there have to be rules and you have to be sensible.....where is the PROOF that you were burgled is what the insurance co will say......thats the problem...and if you are sleeping with windows open it is dangerous if you are on the ground floor...better to have the spanish style ornate iron window frames put in if one ground floor that way you can have your windows wide open for the breeze and NO one can get through without using an electric saw to the frames and not even then...presoannly I thikn this family should be relieved they were only burgled and not maimed, killed or raped....However, naughty St George for being so abrupt ...is Verooshe puppykins still vying for your leg then??..:0)

Ruby

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rebel-193688 - 13 years ago

StGeorge- this really is a very unpleasant reply to someone in distress. Why should it cost extra when one is insured? just because someone is dishonest and enters with the intention of stealing doesn't mean that one should have done something to prevent this happening. Anyway the alarms you mention wouldn't stop anyone.Rebel

Sorry no image available
Posted by Barney Gumble - 13 years ago

Why would a burglar waste precious time re-activating the alarm? What would the point of that be? Unless his day job was that of insurance salesman I suppose.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Pumuckel - 13 years ago

It seems that we all think we are 'safe' until it happens to us. I feel sorry for all who pay high insurance premiums, have an expensive alarm system installed that gets deactivated by a crafty burglar who then enters the property unseen and unheard, without breaking glass or anything, and disappears as silently as he has entered but not forgetting to reactivate the alarm again, leaving no trace of a possible burglary, apart from a few pieces of jewellery missing and the alarm system log detailing the actual time of deactivation. The insurance company doesn't pay in this case, even if the consumer can proof that he has done everything possible to protect their property. So where does this leave the consumer? He can either 'lie' by breaking a window or a door himself as 'proof' of the actual break-in and be able to claim. Or he can simply accept the fact that the insurance company won't pay and no matter how technological advanced an alarm system he installs or how high a premium he pays in the future, he can never be sure if he actually has a claim of indemnity...hmmm...both is not right, surely.

Pumuckel

Sorry no image available
Posted by stgeorge-182529 - 13 years ago

If you weren't all so tightfisted and invested in a simple photo electric cell or movement alarm we wouldn't have this dreary annual ' I've been robbed with my windows open on the ground floor ' syndrome, and the insurance company won't pay out !! Of course they won't and why should they as if you're not prepared to protect your property under the terms of the contract and use just plain common sense - you're all like lambs to the slaughter !!

The onus is on the owner or tenant to protect the contents of the property and paying an annual personal possession and household items Insurance premium with third party liability and jurisprudence for falling flowerpots isn't the instant barrier against ' breaking and entering ' !!

Petty crime in the UK is rife and well documented - it's never been assumed to be any different here on the CDA !!

stgeorge

Sorry no image available
Posted by ruby-197471 - 13 years ago

To be honest this would be the same response you would get anywhere really...as you had the doors open there was no break in as such...its a technicality that I have seen used even in the Uk and the States...Am sorry to hear your news...and wish you luck in getting over it and moving on

Kind regards

ruby

Sorry no image available
Posted by ifs-194624 - 13 years ago

It's a joke.  I helped 'chase' off some would be burglers from a neighbour's house (the truth is I hung back and made noise in support of another neighbour who was also making noise...!).  They broke part of the door before running away but luckily didn't get in because of the interruption.

When my French neighbours went to claim for the repairs they were told they weren't covered because it happened on the outside of the house, not the inside and only the inside was covered for insurance purposes!!! 

And yet when we had a leak my insurance company was superb and picked up everything going, and even renegotiated the decorator's price down!  I did go to a big insurance co., maybe that makes the difference? (don't know who my neighbours are with). 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Pumuckel - 13 years ago

Lfmj - my 'Gardien' told me the same thing when I got burgled a few years ago and my insurance refused to pay as there was 'no obvious break-in'. 'You should have taken a hammer and break the window yourself', he said to me. Now I know better....

Pumuckel