DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Web site suddenly in Japanese!

Posted by fvo-205381 - Created: 6 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by fvo-205381 - 6 years ago

Thanks for that - I've just spent the last hour looking for alternatives to real for Mac. This looks pretty good and assez informative.Thanks again all - I'll be able to get going now.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Depanordique - 6 years ago

Most people can't play .rm or .ram files, as just about no one has RealPlayer installed these days (and good riddance). You want to have the files in mp3 format and then use Flash (or the new, fancy <audio> tag) to play them. I hope you still have the original (non-RealPlayer) files, as converting from rm/ram to mp3 will result in a loss of quality.

A quick search turned up this: http://flash-mp3-player.net/
It seems like it would be a good choice.

Sorry no image available

Thanks, yes I still have all the old html files ready to update.Slight concern, I used realplayer (I think) to convert the audio to .rm or .ram files for streaming but now I'm on a Mac and I don't think I can do that on this system, although I seem to be able to play them.Haven't actually tried yet mind you, and this was the reason I'd not bothered with my old site for some time as I didn't have an answer or the time to spend on it.
Well, here goes...

Sorry no image available
Posted by GreenLeaf-314739 - 6 years ago

I have only ever used my hosting control panel for creation of email addresses and forwarders, checking stats and some database work .

Just download HTML-Kit for your creation and Filezilla to upload your page(s). Or any other HTML program and file uploader/downloader you are experienced with.

Yes, and most hosting packages come with Fantastico De Luxe to one click install a blog format (then it is up to you to use HTML-Kit and Filezilla to render the blog to match your main website template - all easily done in HTML)

And ALWAYS remember to keep an up-to-date copy (backup) of your website on your hard-drive or an external drive. You never know what is going to happen to your hosting company, no matter how long they have been in business.

Sorry no image available

I like hyphens as they make it easier to read, which can be important in some situations, and it makes it easier for search engines (Google et al) to make sense of it and so will put you higher on the result list when someone searches for you.

Checking the hosts Webfaction, I've watched all the videos and don't understand any of it!

If you watched more than just the 2 min. tour and the control panel demo, then you watched too much. The rest are for advanced packages that you most certainly don't need. And things such as SSH you can just ignore (they have plenty of power-user features like that).

When I built mine I used html.

And you still can. Once you have everything up and running, there shouldn't be any real differences between your old host and WF. There are perhaps a few new (simple) concepts to learn, but that's it. It should even be possible to transfer everything over, although how much work that might be of course depends.

I just need a site that yes, has a blog, but more importantly the ability to click on a soundbite that immediately streams in the most elegant fashion. Again, mine did not have one of those annoying little yellow 'play / pause' widgets, the sample simply played when the title was clicked.

They have a WordPress one-click installer, but there are many other blogging packages out there, some of which may be better suited to your needs.
Do you have an example of how the soundbite was set up on your old site? While a play/pause widget may not be the most elegant, it doesn't mess with your visitors expectations as it's a concept they're already familiar with, so do bear that in mind.

Now I'm trying to confirm that I can transfer the existing domain name to the current hosting package, and have just leaned that I can.

I thought you didn't have a domain name? At any rate, with WF you can have as many domains as you can handle and they can all point to the same site if that's what you want.

Well, I guess you have to try otherwise what's the point of social media.

Indeed :-) Speaking of which, if you want any non-forum help you're welcome to contact me directly, although in that case I'll obviously be charging you.

Sorry no image available

I've now bought 2 domain names at a very reasonable price for 3 years each from namecheap. Okay, overkill, but I couldn't decide which to go for.Now I'm trying to confirm that I can transfer the existing domain name to the current hosting package, and have just leaned that I can.I've been being emailed by a 'helpful' forum attendee in AI Provence who it now appears just want to sell me his hosting package. Well, I guess you have to try otherwise what's the point of social media.Anyone need a quality professional voice for their projects? :)

Sorry no image available
Posted by GreenLeaf-314739 - 6 years ago

Probably will not matter, but now anybody or company that could come along and read this thread could purchase the domain names you mentioned and attempt to make a profit off your need. Always better to not put to much info in an open thread

Sorry no image available

I've checked the registrar recommendations, and am trying to decide which new name to adopt.It's between celia-drummond.com (my original was minus the hyphen) and celiadrummond.biz, actually just about all of the extension options are available.I'm not much into hyphens, I find them rather cumbersome but don't know what's current these days and which are cool to have.
Checking the hosts Webfaction, I've watched all the videos and don't understand any of it! When I built mine I used html.
I just need a site that yes, has a blog, but more importantly the ability to click on a soundbite that immediately streams in the most elegant fashion. Again, mine did not have one of those annoying little yellow 'play / pause' widgets, the sample simply played when the title was clicked.I'll email them them to ask if any of their apps will do this, but if you know of such a detail please let me know.
I very much appreciate all your help and hope this will be of use to others too.

Sorry no image available

Dotster.com who apparently took over from 15domains (I think they evolved into that as the site is identical)

15domains was probably just a reseller for Dotster. Usually resellers get their own portal where they can customize the logo and such.

So NETOWL bought the domain, possibly as there is a fair bit of traffic on the site so they thought I'd want to buy it back..

There are companies whose sole business consists of this. Unfortunately ICANN has shown very little willingness to do anything about it.

It does seem as though there's a major scam involved here;

For something to be a scam it has to be illegal. Unfortunately there's nothing illegal about this. It's sleazy, unethical and any number of other negatives, but perfectly legal all the same.

It makes me wonder how many others have this problem and either have to buy their site names back or start again.

I'm not an expert on this so I don't have any numbers, but cyber-squatting, domaining etc. is definitely a big problem. And for someone else with, effectively, the same issue with Dotster: http://www.domainstate.com/warning-forum-23/dotster-com-stole-my-domain-and-sold-it-87453.html

My name is for sale for 48 dollars.

This suggests that they don't intend to hold on to it for long. That could still mean a few years of course, but check the expiry in the Whois record, visit the domain regularly and be ready to pounce when it's available again.
I can certainly understand not wanting to buy it from them as that's just feeding the beast, but unfortunately that's how the market is currently.

And the hosts (13 years of business) say I'll have to re-register if I use a new name, despite the fact that renewal only came up end January

That's either a plain-faced lie or they're technically inept. I sure hope you're not paying more than a few dollars per month.

Pretty poor, wouldn't you say?

Very poor indeed.

Sorry no image available

And thanks, by the way, for the site and registrar recommendations!