DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Websites

Posted by kirstya - Created: 14 years ago
0 0

Hello,

I am in the process or creating a website for my new holiday home in France. I am cheating, i think, by using MS Publisher and its about 5 pages.

Does anyone know any company that hosts for a reasonable price?

Is it possible to host my own website??? If so can you advise me how?

Thanks

Kirsty Achterhuis

Sorry no image available

9 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 9)

Sorry no image available
Posted by kirstya - 14 years ago

Thomas,

We have just sent all our stuff to French connections a couple of days ago after my parents had great success with their B+B last year. We should be live with them in just under 2 weeks.

I would be looking for my own domain name to put on a professional front.

I am nearly there, being guided slowly.

Kirsty

Sorry no image available
Posted by tkw - 14 years ago

Imho, no real reason to pay for hosting of a site for one house. There are plenty of free places that give you up to 100Mb for your personal web pages.... www.free.fr, yahoo, etcetc. If you need more than 100Mb or you want your own domain name then you have to think about paying or...

Check out http://www.frenchconnections.co.uk/ there is info on how to set up with them. I have used this site myself to find a B&B or Gite and even a whole Chateau to rent. They add this disclaimer:

French Connections is an advertising portal for owners of properties in France or their agents. You book directly with the property owners - we do not handle bookings ourselves

good luck! Thomas

Sorry no image available
Posted by linzi-mermaid - 14 years ago

See how e-mail services with auto-responders & list management save your time you deserve peace of mind from your website.  We are also introducing shopping cart software so your website will be simple transactions of money in the blink of an eye! We aim to help you target your marketing for maximum profit with easy to use tools.

When you Join Bizwebclub you will be in good hands!  If you have any questions we are always open 24X7.

And would you like to know the best news of all?

Its our guarantee. It’s totally unconditional.

If for any reason whatsoever anytime during your first years membership you feel BizWebClub is not working for you just let us know and your membership fees will be refunded in full –No questions

Sk@bizwebclub <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

The Best labour saving device ever invented is tommorow

Sorry no image available
Posted by linzi-mermaid - 14 years ago

Kirsty <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Good luck with creating the web pages. I just thought I would let you know that my new Internet venture "BizWebClub" is about to launch. It is not going to give you the cheapest hosting however you do get what you pay for. Our servers are connected to the world's biggest and fastest internet backbone. We make sure that more people can see your site. The cheap ISP's charge you extra money for band width if your site is successful.

Kirsty if you are serious about making a lot of money or a state of the art reliable website so that your website is working for you 24x7.

ü       You will receive Unlimited Professional grade email addresses to add to your credibility and status.

ü       When you join Email management will be designed with you in mind to maximise your online sales and success.

ü        Full site logs-with analysis-So you know in real –time what’s working for you.

Plus all the domain registration services that ordinary ISPs overcharge you for.               

The List goes on and on!

You’ll also have full access to on-hand, expert, help that lets you create, maintain and grow your web business.

Find out just about everything you need to become internet smart and make your web presence really work!

The Best labour saving device ever invented is tommorow

Sorry no image available
Posted by kirstya - 14 years ago

Thankyou, all of you, for your help and advice. Certainly a lot to learn but you have set me on the right track.

Every day is a step closer (which is the right direction!!!)

Kirsty

Sorry no image available
Posted by JohnD-185075 - 14 years ago

quote:A very powerful web server is part of Windows XP; well at least my version of windows XP. The 'home' version might not have it but I think it does too.id=quote>I don't think that IIS comes with XP Home, but Apache 1.3 and 2.0 run very well on Windows these days, you can download them from [url="http://httpd.apache.org/download.cgi"]here[/url].

Sorry no image available
Posted by jjoepage - 14 years ago

It is possible to host your own web site.  Do: START/SETTINGS/CONTROL PANEL.  Then find in the left hand column 'Windows components'.  A very powerful web server is part of Windows XP; well at least my version of windows XP.  The 'home' version might not have it but I think it does too.  You want to check the box which says IIS, or 'Internet Information Services'.  When that loads, you have a web server which can serve 1000+ web sites on your own computer!

Nothing is that easy.  Now you need a permanent IP address.  France telecom will give you one for about $30 extra per month.  Then, you have to learn how to use IIS.  Then you have to find a DNS service for free.  try: www.everydns.com.  It is pretty damn complicated.  BUT, your question was can I do it.  The answer is you can.  I did/do.  I'll host your site for free on my web server.  BUT, no gaurentees.  My server crashes from time-to-time, becomes unavailable, has other hic-ups, but hey, free is free.  If you get thousands of hits per day on your web site I'll have to chuck it off the system, but otherwise maybe free will work for you.  e-mail me so I can set up a user account for you with a password and so forth.  Use this address.  Finally, I've got to admit 1.99 is an excellent price from a professional service.  EXCELLENT. 

Its all good

Sorry no image available
Posted by OpportunitySeeker - 14 years ago

use www.oneandone.co.uk - prices start from £1.99 a month.

A have fouund them to be extremly good.  Excellent support, the site does not go down and its got plenty of online support.  Plus its easy to by your own URL and link it in, and config of Email.

Enjoy.

Sorry no image available
Posted by JohnD-185075 - 14 years ago

Shameless plug for my friend's business:www.pipeten.comOne of the £60/year options should be fine.