DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Well I've finally done it!

Posted by GemG - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

7 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 7)

Sorry no image available
Posted by shane- - 14 years ago

hey again.when i arrived last month i went to antibes and checked out the hop store, the gaffe and the blue lady (bars)and i was either too early in march or just didnt need staff.some told me staff not needed until june or so. was in cannes for 4 days lookin for work also.tryed a few hotels and the irish bars but had no luck either,same story.i got a job in a small hotel in nice after all. i'm thinkin about goin to cannes saturday to visit a friend,its a cool place and they should be startin to look for staff nowif you goin to cannes i could meet u before you go and give you my map of the town so you have a rough idea. keep the head up! i'll e-mail my mobile number to your personal addres.s k

Sorry no image available
Posted by Chick-194409 - 14 years ago

Hi Gemma,

How's it all going in Nice?! have been on holiday; hope you're having fun down there. Sorry, can't really give any advice re. employment in Cannes/Marseille etc.

Maybe Marseille would be an option as it's much bigger/perhaps not so saturated with english speakers searching for employment (i say with no real idea as i've only been there a few times). Also, Cannes film festival is coming up v.soon so there might be an opportunity for work there? In Antibes there are a fair few english bars- le Gaffe i think is one of them, so probably worth a go.

It's only the start of the summer season so just try and check out as many options as you can as you, be open-minded about what you do. Once you start meeting people, making friends and 'contacts',  opportunities do come along.

Chick :)  

Sorry no image available
Posted by GemG - 14 years ago

Yep, I got here yesterday and spent today trying in Nice, to get my bearings and decide what to do next.  I'd never been here before and its not quite what I was expecting.  Is it as expensive to get accommodation here as I think it will be?

I'm considering trying cannes, Antibes or Marseille - does anyone know of anywhere to stay in those places so I would have a base whilst I look around?  A hostel would be fine but I haven't got access to a guidebook at the mo.

Cheers

Sorry no image available
Posted by shane- - 14 years ago

hey i presume you arrived.hows your first wkend goin?s k

Sorry no image available
Posted by LouG-194215 - 14 years ago

How exciting that its so soon for you! Are you nervous? I'll be there a week on Saturday so if you see another lonely figure lurking around, it'll be me!!!! Good Luck! xxxx

Sorry no image available

Someone has suggested I head for the Old Town on Saturday night, she mentioned McMahons and somewhere else I can't remember at the mo.  Will anyone be around?  If you see a lonely figure in the corner please talk to me!

Sorry no image available

I just called a hotel about a job and got told no, they are looking for men only!!  He claimed this is not illegal in France as it is night work.

Have booked into a hostel so I'm not homeless now!