DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

What Bit Me

Posted by sorcel-190657 - Created: 13 years ago
0 0

One of my family members woke up in the middle of the night and had a terrible pain in the wrist. After 2 days it has not gone away. Since he did not fall, exhaust himself in anyway and is not prone to athrithis etc. we have deducted that it might be some kind of insect bite. We do have both bees, wasps and hornets in the garden. He did not experience any burning sensation, it does not itch and the pain is in a small area with a diameter of about 4-5 cm. We have not been swimming in the sea - only in our pool. Any suggestions ?

Kathleen

Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by sorcel-190657 - 13 years ago

Thanks for the advice. We asked a native French friend who took a look and gave us a bottle of Synthol. After applying this several times the pain went away. After a lot of elimination we thing it probably was a spider bite.

Kathleen

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 13 years ago

My wife got bitten by an insect a few days ago and woke up with a reddish patch about 3-4 cm across.

She went to a dermatologist for a proper medical diagnosis, and the doctor said that it looked like some kind of insect bite, and to come back if it didnt clear up after a week.

Tony

Sorry no image available
Posted by szozu - 13 years ago

FYI Lyme Disease does exist in France. Do a Google.

"Lyme Disease: Risk of transmission occurs throughout the country in wooded, brushy areas or in broadleaf (oak) forests. Risk is elevated in eastern France. Travelers to rural areas countrywide should take measures to avoid tick bites."

Lana

Sorry no image available
Posted by Collie21 - 13 years ago

Just because you are talking about bites, I had a few in Corsica some years ago that swelled to the size of golfballs and my mate this year got bitten by something with the same effect. The bite is quite painfull and the area swells up enormously, just wondering if anyone knew what or why. Not like ordinary mossie bytes I get all the timeCheersColliehey does that wall have a crack in it?

Sorry no image available
Posted by cab-182963 - 13 years ago

just remembered the word in French: taen!C.

Sorry no image available
Posted by cab-182963 - 13 years ago

It might be a horsefly.  Was bitten last summer (evenign also).  It usually is red, and burns/aches.  I suffered a bit and afterward it went away with time.  I don't know if this is what it is but it'll get better.  Lyme disease (I believe) doesn't exist here.  It's in wooded areas where you find deer.C.

Sorry no image available
Posted by szozu - 13 years ago

I agree with Mike. A medical diagnosis is in order. You need to rule out things like a tick bite that could lead to Lyme Disease.

Lana

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 13 years ago

Medical diagnosis is more appropriate than guesswork. 

Is it muscular or just under the surface? If it's the latter, and the area is hard to the touch,  it could be a bite from a type of spider, I've forgotten what it's called, which I had once locally on the lower leg.  It will go away on its own in a few days if it is that,  but really,  get medical advice!

Sorry no image available
Posted by sorcel-190657 - 13 years ago

But Nothing is swollen and it doesn't itch - it's just painful.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rave-190379 - 13 years ago

Most likely a Mosquito.