DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

What do the Dutch eat on Christmas day ?

Posted by stgeorge-182529 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Misha-183698 - 14 years ago

Funny to read all the things non-dutches heva remembered from Holland! My advice to the cook would be to prepare a meal that does not need your full attention while your guests have arrived as Xmass is all abou ´gezellig` and that means being with people you like and having a good time!

Enjoy your holidays!

Misha

Sorry no image available
Posted by NuttR - 14 years ago

Did you trying asking them what they'd like?  Perhaps they'd like a traditional Provencal Xmas dinner..?

Sorry no image available
Posted by polly-190436 - 14 years ago

Hello, here some real cloggies, on this sinterklaasavond!

Years ago, typical X-masdinners were poultrymeat( = hare , deer, or rabbit,)with sweet compote, pears cooked in wine (=stoofpeertjes), with cranberries, vegetables etc.

Peasoup (= erwtensoep) is never eaten for christmas!!!!!

Good luck with this meal, you could stick to something easier to prepare and that everybody likes.

"Gezelligheid" is the most important ingredient, just give them plenty to drink.

Cheers

Judith

Sorry no image available
Posted by marmine-187669 - 14 years ago

Born in Amsterdam, but from real Fries ancestors, I have lived in Groningen, Zwolle and Arnhem, but the 25 years before I came to live here, I lived in Hilversum, pretty close to Amsterdam.I adore Amsterdam and always feel like coming home when I get there.And where have you stayed in Holland.Mar

Sorry no image available
Posted by DebM-189632 - 14 years ago

Hey yes! Oliebollen! I had forgotten all about those, they were delicious.

Prettige Sinter Klaas.

That reminds me....Zie de maan shijnt dooer de boemen, Sinter Klaas is angekomen.....mmmm ole memories.

Where are you from in NL?

Deb

Sorry no image available
Posted by marmine-187669 - 14 years ago

Very well worded DebM. I'm Dutch so I really am supposed to know. And today, the 5th of december, is indeed Sinterklaas. Although I never ate 'erwtensoep' (kind of peasoupe) on that particular evening. It is a well known meal throughout winter, but basically when it is really cold.Having had my first Thanksgivingsdiner this year with all the things you always read about, and really enjoyed it, I would suggest also to stick with a traditional English X-mas. In Holland we celebrate X-mas starting on X-mas eve, X-mas day and Boxing day. The house is decorated and breakfast, lunch and diner are more special than normal. The focuspoint is on the 'gezellig' part. To have a cosy happy time together, with nice sweets and food.If anybody is interested in the real Dutch erwtensoep - peasoupe - recipe, I am willing to provide it here.Another Dutch specialty, for New Years eve, is 'oliebollen'. Have no idea how to translate it, but it is a deepfried, sweet, yeastdough with currants etc. thing. I adore them and am planning on making them this year.Good luck

Sorry no image available
Posted by stgeorge-182529 - 14 years ago

My recipé for pea and ham soup :

In a large casserole , sautée one large chopped onion, sprig of chopped celery  and about 300 grammes of lardons ( naturel or fumé) . I throw in a sprig of fresh thyme growing on my balcony . Boil at least a litre and a half of water and pour into casserole over about 500 grammes of split peas ( pois cassées) with either a chicken stock cube or a stock made from your weekend chicken bones. If you have a ham bone left over , throw this in as well and let the whole thing simmer for a couple of hours. Check the level of the bouillon now and again !

This is wonderful in the winter to take down to the boat in a Thermos and heat up for lunch with a baguette aux 8 cereales !

stgeorge

Sorry no image available

I've just noticed the "galley" bit which suggests that you are on a boat. Decorate the boat nonetheless, candles and some attractive, but not too over the top, Xmas decs.

Just remember that the Dutch don't have any tradition for this day so you can't really go wrong. In terms of culinary taste, the UK and Dutch are fairly similar. If I remember rightly they loved Mince Pies, not so keen on the Christmas pud, they told me it was "te zwaar" (too heavy). I know that this is only for Xmas but never ever give a Cadbury's Creme Egg to the Dutch, they hate them! I was gutted when they threw them all away!

Good luck

Sorry no image available

I lived in Holland for some time and can therefore report the following...the Dutch celebrate Sinter Klaas at the very beginning of December (5th, 6th or 7th - can't remember) when they organise "surprises" for each other - these are basically presents that are given to each other wrapped in very strange and exciting way and accompagnied by a poem from the Sint. They then eat Eerte soep (sorry about the spelling!) which is indeed pea soup but they don't really have an official meal. Likewise on Xmas day they don't really have an official meal, especially as Xmas is not really celebrated in the same way as in the UK. However, I did invite my former Dutch belle famille for Xmas lunch - they definately didn't get the Cracker bit and refused to put the party hats on their heads however they were delightful and very open to all the rest.

Basically StGeorge your Dutch friends will be delighted, stick to tradition and show them how it's done in the UK, don't forget lots of candles (even in the day) and to decorate your house - the Dutch love that, they're houses are always beautiful,  and if you hear the word "gezellig" (said hezelligh more or less) which means, nice/cosy/agreable you will know that you are on the right track.  

If you need any more help or advice I would be happy to assist.

Debs

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 14 years ago

From memory, they eat very little, having had their big meal on Christmas Eve in the standard European manner. Perhaps some pea and ham soup?**************
Mike