DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

What is a cumulus?

Posted by kfulwell - Created: 13 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Peter D-197027 - 13 years ago

late post I know...but I thought the word "cumulus" was a common brand name now used generically for any immersion-type water heater - in the same way that we Brits often call any type of vacuum cleaner a "hoover"

Sorry no image available
Posted by kfulwell - 13 years ago

Have just got back from emergency trip over to assess damage. COst me all of 50 euros to get the water heater fixed (bad soldering job done by 'bricoleur' rather than plumber) .... and 480 euros to fix the bloody lock that the firemen had broken! No other damage except to downstairs neighbour's ceiling. So hopefully insurance will cover that and the lock .... could have been much worse.Kate

Sorry no image available
Posted by tkw - 13 years ago

When we first moved in our brand new 'cumulus' was poorly installed by the plumber who hadn't welded some of the pipes properly, leaving us with a small leak. Actually I think he overwelded them and cut right through the copper..but whatever.  If we hadn't noticed the leak it could eventually have dripped through to the apartment below. After months of having a bucket under the cumulus he finally showed up to make the repair (free of charge, except of course the time I have to take off work..blah blah) .

You could go after the workmanship of the plumber...so its his insurance not yours that covers the damage.

I have a serious fear of being a distant owner of an apartment in France.

Sorry no image available
Posted by No.6 - 13 years ago

I read somewhere that these immersion heaters should not be left unused for too long (e.g. over 2 months), for fear that the safety valve mechanism can sieze up (due to hardening scale) and can cause the tank to suddenly empty.  But if it's brand new, this sounds a little unlikely...unless the safety valve was incorrectly fitted...

Sorry no image available

It's brand new ... has been working fine in the few months it's been installed.  But wasn't installed by a plumber .....Kate

Sorry no image available
Posted by szozu - 13 years ago

Sometimes you can have leaks from the pipes that are connected to the heater and if the cumulus is old, there is a certain point where rust will eat away at it and a leak will develop. All the above information has been gathered from experience, but luckily I live in the apartment where all this occurred, so was able to control the problem before it got out of hand.

I finally had to get a new heater, which ended up costing me 700 EUR. The water heater itself was not too expensive, it's the plumber that cost a bundle.

Lana

Sorry no image available

Thanks everyone ....  Not sure how it can have 'ruptured' as it was turned off .... aaargh.  Just hope the insurance can sort it out.

Kate

Kate

Sorry no image available

...from the French word 'accumulation'.  See the EDF's explanation, here: http://particuliers.edf.fr/article80.html

Sorry no image available

Cumulus is a common term for an electrically-heated hot water tank, Kate! 

Sorry no image available
Posted by NuttR - 13 years ago

I think it's an immersion heater - so if it breaks I guess you have had some flooding problems.

Hope you sort it out ok...