DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

What is SAP?

Posted by szozu - Created: 13 years ago
0 0

Can someone tell me what this is exactly? I've been running into it in job offers and have no clue. An internet search turned up nothing I would deem useful.

Par example :

Une maîtrise de la langue anglaise est exigée. La maîtrise du pack office et de SAP est requise.

Thanks,
Lana<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Margarete-181866 - 13 years ago

SAP stands for Software Anwender Programme.

You can do a course to become an SAP consultant, but I think that takes some months and is not that cheap. SAP is the competitor product from People Soft as far as I know.

SAP consists of different modules, that's all I know.

http://www.sap.com/france/company/jobs/

http://www.sap.com/uk/education/courses/index.asp

SAP has its official site in Germany, but one is here in Sophia Antipolis.

Margarete

Sorry no image available
Posted by JacqC - 13 years ago

Hi Dano - Someone got there first - our software is sometimes called PSA (Professional Services Automation) or ITPPM to give it a punchier ring...can anyone beat that ??

Sorry no image available
Posted by szozu - 13 years ago

Mike P,

I've used a couple of proprietary banking softwares that were clunky and very badly programmed. The most annoying was when using similar modules, one for time deposits, the other for loans, where a certain keystroke in one module would get you to a place where there was some pertinent information, whereas in the other module you would be sent flying through hyperspace back to square one. I eventually discovered that the programming had been done by different people. Nor did they program the ability to go from one account to another if say, checking time deposits. You had to go back to the beginning and climb up the command ladder of each account individually.

Every time we had new emplyees learning the system, I would often pass by their desks to find them zoned out and staring at their screens helplessly, like a rabbit in the middle of the road hypnotized by the headlights of an oncoming vehicle. This was made even worse when they "improved" the system and in place of the mainframe emulation, they designed an intranet system where your query would be sent to Switzerland on the back of a trans-Atlantic tortoise. You could send your request and then safely go to the water cooler and indulge in office gossip while your request was being processed. Someone had programmed it in such a way that the system had to first bring up every single time deposit in existence before letting you choose the one you wanted to see.

Could SAP possibly be worse than that?

Lana

Sorry no image available
Posted by Pumuckel - 13 years ago

...skip the word 'Aktiengesellschaft' which means Public Limited Company (PLC) in English. SAP stands for:

German: Systeme, Anwendungen und Produkte in der Datenverarbeitung

English: Systems, Applications and Products in Data Processing

Pumuckel

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 13 years ago

It really depends on whether the requirement is for you to enter data into SAP (or extract data from it),  or to programme the beast.

The ease or difficulty of data entry and extraction is determined by the user-friendliness of the interface which is normally commissioned by each individual client and thus is a variable.  I have to book my business travel and do my subsequent expense reports using a SAP interface and I find it very user unfriendly,  but once you you've got the hang of the weird terminology and computer geeky logic,  it is straightforward (but still a nightmare).

By the way SAP stands for Aktiengesellschaft Systeme Anwendungen Produkte in der Datenverarbeitung (I think). Try saying that after a few beers and programming is a doddle in comparison.

Sorry no image available
Posted by me_2003 - 13 years ago

hi, before buying any books try the following:

http://help.sap.com    here you will find detailed explaination of each part of the SAP software.  This is the best info in the world on SAP.

also look at www.sap.com

Sorry no image available
Posted by danonimes-184717 - 13 years ago

szozu, too late was the cry. the mairie just took on the latest bunch of street-cleaners. To qualify, I think you have to have recently spent some time in Pierrefeu (the psychiatric hospital). Alternatively, you could try Amazon.com for SAP Administration for Dummies :)

legend - instead of sending your millions elsewhere, find a natty acronym and invent your own business process management system (in that order). SPA, PAS, PSA, APS ......? and buy your own club.

Sorry no image available
Posted by szozu - 13 years ago

Dano, no offense meant towards secretaries, as I am ready to accept a job as street cleaner if only someone would offer me one. I was just trying to put some perspective on Legend's postulating that I might need a degree from MIT in order to use SAP.

Lana

Sorry no image available
Posted by legend_in_my_lunchtime-182603 - 13 years ago

Yes Dano - that is true.  Dietmar Hopp is the name of the European (German) equivalent of Bill Gates.  Despite having given him millions over the last few years, he has still not invited me to Terre Blanche in Fayence but I live in hope.

Sorry no image available
Posted by danonimes-184717 - 13 years ago

szozu "Some of them are essentially secretarial positions, so I doubt very much that enormous brain muscle is necessary for the posts."

wow, that's subtle.

legend, nice tip on the table turning.

Is it true that the owner(s) of SAP are responsible for opening the new golf complex at Fayence?