Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.


What rights?

Posted by robinson-198391 - Created: 13 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

1 reply

Sorry no image available
Posted by legend_in_my_lunchtime-182603 - 13 years ago

Any adult who is contributing to the French social security system has the right to have one (and only one) "conjoint(e)" declared as equally covered by the health system.  This right is bestowed upon the "assuré(e)" so your partner would need to declare you as his/her conjoint(e).  This right is constant regardless of whether you are married, whether he/she is divorced or even funnily enough if he/she is still married to someone else.  If you are not married, you just need to make a declaration of "vie maritale" which is a simple déclaration sur l'honneur - not to be confused with the PACS (see below).  The way that the mutuelles treat this seems by and large to follow the way the Sécurité Sociale treat it - very civilised indeed.

You mention "fiscally resident" as the status of your partner but you don't mention the fiscal nature of your partnership.  This subject can be quite complicated and I'm not even sure if you had a real question on this topic but in brief, you have lots of fiscal/social rights even unmarried - all the more if you have jointly signed a PACS (see AI factfile for info on this).