DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

What should I do ?

Posted by Libra-198396 - Created: 13 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

7 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 7)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Collie21 - 13 years ago

HI Donald, I am Irish too, and from Dublin. I came down here a year and a half ago. I am only 37 mind you. I swore all my life I would never leave Ireland permanently. Now I swear I won't go back. You know the cost, the weather, the dirt, the weather, the expense, the weather. It is really possible to make a sucessful life here (not talking financially), and leave Ireland for the holidays. Imagine if you miss your grandchildren there is always 3 months of summer holidays to occupy them around here. Depending on how fit you are, and how much you want to integrate,....if you can do it, move inland just a bit maybe a 20 minute drive from the coast up in the hills, its slightly cooler in summer, and more like Dublin summer in Autumn and early winter. I have tons of tales to regale you with as I am sure many other do. But if you are finanically secure go on, do it and be done with it. Honestly you will love yourself for it. Collieanyone for a pint???

Sorry no image available
Posted by Riviera fan - 13 years ago

Hi Europe, If you can afford to retire to the Cap d`Antibes in a pad that you describe will you let out the annexe to me ?. There would be the ideal place for me to live and semi retire then I would`nt have to walk from Juan to the little beach on the Cap (Plage des Ondes) for my swim. The Cap is so beautiful I agree.AAW

Sorry no image available

Back again Libra, We 1st went to CDA 42 years ago and stayed in Juan. Since then we have travelled and stayed in many places along the coast but have ended up back in  Juan. It has`nt changed much in 40 years and the people are so friendly. We prefer out of season, even in the winter months it is not too bad, and a trip for 5 or 6 days when the Antibes Jazz Festival (in Juan) is on in July is now going to be an annual event. The atmosphere was truly great. As for the food in the restaurants, well what can you say, everywhere the standard is very high and not too expensive. Travel is cheap and access to Nice airport is excellent. Over all those years we still do`nt speak French that well (very lazy) but we manage to get by OK. Yes CDA suits us well from England, only 2 hours flight and 20 minutes in a cab or bus to apt.,

Good luck for the future

AAW

Sorry no image available
Posted by Europe - 13 years ago

You know, one of main goals in life is to retire eventually to the Cap D'Antibes- it's heavenly. It is a bit hot in Summer, but just make sure you get a place with a pool and air-con. It's a great area for kids to visit too.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Libra-198396 - 13 years ago

Thank you Riviera Fan<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Yes I think the best of both worlds is suited for myself and Fanny my wife.

We have Grandchildren in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Ireland and they will come to visit us when we are in cote d azure.

I was in Nice in August 2002 I couldn’t cope with the heat.

Fanny speaks French better than I do and this was one of the reasons we were looking into permanent home in the French Riviera eventually is that it would be easier for us to integrate. Would Love to hear your story. :)

Thanks again

Donald and Fanny

Rome wasn't built in a day x

Sorry no image available

Hi Libra, I thought I Would offer some sugestion for your predicament for what its worth. I bought an apartment Jan 2003 in Juan and have used it considerably since, for holidays and many long weekends. Hopefully when I retire I will use it for 3 months in the winter and long weekends the rest of the year. The french people on the CDA are very friendly and helpful, but to stay there, especially in July and August would be too much for my wife and I because of the heat, the noise and too many people. Also, I would miss England and its gorgeous climate, you know, the rain,hail,snow and sometimes the sun. So yes 6 months in France and 6 months in Ireland or England sounds a good match, plus all the long weekends you want in France, and maybe a bit of rental money when you are not there to cover the expenses.Good Luck  

AAW

Sorry no image available
Posted by Libra-198396 - 13 years ago

Well no one has answered so I am going to go with my gut feeling and buy a holiday home in cap d antibes.  Rome wasn't built in a day x