DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

What to do if forgotten computer password??

Posted by user2006 - Created: 10 years ago
0 0

I have done the stupid mistake to change password on my computer and now I can't remember it! (I know it's extremely stupid!)

Is there anyone out there that has an idea what I can do? Or do I have to reinstall everything and loose what I had on the computer?

Thanks to anyone who can help!

Sorry no image available

3 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 3)

Sorry no image available
Posted by user2006 - 10 years ago

Thanks for your help!

The password popped back into my head last night after a long thinking session! And believe me, I've written it down now....

Sorry no image available
Posted by vavisitor - 10 years ago

Is yours the only user account on the PC? The only sure way to get back the password is to use a friend's PC to go to http://ophcrack.sourceforge.net/ and down load the password recovery utility. This programme must then be burnt to a CD.

You then boot up your computer from this CD and launch the password recover utility. Doing this should not delete any of the files you had stored on your own PC which would be the case if you re-install Windows from the scratch.

It runs on Windows, MAC OSX and Linux

Sorry no image available
Posted by ChristopherL-188542 - 10 years ago

What operating system? XP? or Vista? or MacOS?

MacOS has a way of doing this by inserting your original installation disk and running a reset tool.

XP: There are some CD-ROM ISO images out there on the Net to do this but they require a certain technical expertise and of course the ability to burn the ISO image to CD which you probably can't do this right now because you are locked out of the PC :-(

Vista: Very painful. Need deep technical hackery.