DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Where can you find on-line cheap flights?

Posted by astuart - Created: 15 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 15 years ago

The answer is in the way the systems work.  Some will cross check availability in the airline's own system before responding,  others will simply quote the lowest possible fare regardless of availability, then check the availability once you actually try to book.

Sorry no image available
Posted by astuart - 15 years ago

Cheapest Nice/Ldn flight that comes up on Skyscanner.net is consistently bmi at very low prices (before airport tax). But when I try to book these flights I never find anything remotely like the same price - even taking into account airport taxes - on the bmi and opodo websites.  What's the trick??

Sorry no image available

As I avoid Air France I have not yet had the pleasure of T2 but from what I've heard, and what I could have guessed, Andrew's assessment is spot on.

Apparently British Midland, who are handled (mangled!) by AF have stayed in T1 because of the absence of a proper Business Class lounge in T2 - just a little detail the designers forgot.  I suppose they thought everyone would be so busy queuing for their Caviar and Cartiers that they wouldn't need a lounge.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Andrew.Wilk - 15 years ago

I forget to mention the downside on a lot of flights into Nice now is that you are forced into that ridiculous overblown typically French grandiose new Terminal T2. It is a nightmare of empty space, inadequate signage, indifferent or confused or mainly absent staff. The few retail shops are the usual laughable luxury goods empty shops (All those low-cost airlune punters queueing up to buy a £3,000 Cartier watch? Booze at UK high street prices? The staff must die of boredom) Grand vision and architectural style, cutting edge wi-fi technology, but administrative operational disaster and nothing to do but sit and admire the empty space.

Sorry no image available
Posted by ElCid-184930 - 15 years ago

MikeP, &gt1;I went back to the UK from Heathrow booked onto BMIThat was indeed a typo!I travelled back to the UK (Heathrow!), from Nice.. I had a ticket booked with BMI, but the plane and crew was AirFrance for that one trip.I've done the same journey, with the same booking on BMI many times before and have never come across AF before or since. I guess it was a one off.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Jacob - 15 years ago

Following on from other mentions of BMI I have to say that I recently checked their website (www.flybmi.com) and found a one way fare for only £30 which for a good airline is great, however they're usually more like £70+ one way. I've been using EasyJet who with about 10 differnt flights daily between Nice and the London (Heathrow and Gatwick, but mostly Luton) make flying pretty flexible - and cheap if you fly on underbooked days. Although I think I actually prefer RyanAir whom I have used many times on their Stansted-Nimes route, but that airport is just plain useless from the Nice end of the CDA. I think it's a pity that the Buzz route to Toulon has been disbanded by EasyJet.// Jacob

Sorry no image available

El Cid

The two daily BMI rotations between Heathrow and Nice are operated by BMI aircraft, cockpit, and cabin crew.  Air France have an allocation of seats (5 business, 10 economy) on each service.

It is possible that as a one off,  the service was operated on one day by an Air France aircraft.  In all the many times I've used this service,  that has never happened to me, nor have I heard of it.   I went back to the UK from Heathrow booked onto BMI

You said :

quote:I went back to the UK from Heathrow booked onto BMI

Clearly there's a typo there, so it is not clear what service you are referring to (Paris?) but if you are referring to a Nice-Heathrow or vice versa service then the use of an AF aircraft was a one off.

Sorry no image available
Posted by cgraf - 15 years ago

Only snag with Opodo.co.uk is that you have to have a UK registered credit card. If you want to book from France - use Opodo.fr.

Likewise - only with French registered CCs.

C.

C.

Sorry no image available
Posted by ElCid-184930 - 15 years ago

MikeP, I argue aginst your last point... a couple of weeks ago I went back to the UK from Heathrow booked onto BMI, and it was a codeshare with AirFrance, but the plane was AirFrance, and BMI had only 40seats on the plane (I know this cos all the BMI economy seats were already gone at checking so they bumped me up and the guy explained). Can't comment about any ther times, but definitely a couple of weeks ago, one evening, Air France did fly from Nice to Heathrow!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rags - 15 years ago

For travel to UK www.opodo.co.uk

seems very good for prices.

rags