DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Where in the Arrierre pays to buy a house?

Posted by Jane Fryer - Created: 10 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

9 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 9)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Jane Fryer - 10 years ago

Ok, I am getting a clearer picture now. I guess get the map out and ring places on route. Thanks for the suggestions.Jane Fryer

Sorry no image available
Posted by Liz Lord-193061 - 10 years ago

Hi Mike (he of the scariest drive way in the world!!) et al....yup you're right - even the lovely St Dalmas le Selvage - I'd say was 90mins realistically!! Depends how often you go down to the coast...we don't that much oo aahhh.....there is property about - most of it requiring a complete overhaul to rid yourself of Alpine brown and wood!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by dublinmike-182617 - 10 years ago

Ok so if you get hold of a map, there are two rivers running out of Nice, one to the North West; the VAR and one to the North East; The Paillon. Trains run along these valleys so anywhere along there would be good, you have up to 200kms to choose from. Though remember that the roads can be torturous and over 50km from the coast become a full-on mountain living experience. Though Liz obviously knows more about this than I lol.

Sorry no image available
Posted by AmericAnnotaine-205697 - 10 years ago

Annot is on the Nice-Digne train line (exactly half-way between the two, 5 trains a day) and is a lovely place to live: beautiful mountains, friendly people, I've been here year-round for 5 years and have no intention of going back to USA! Try Jacklyn at Agence Vauban in Annot, or come up for the day and I'll show you around!Marsha

Sorry no image available

to Dublinmike - which villages exactly? I am still not totally au fait with the area. Liz, nice to hear from you again, I would like some details if you still have my email address? I will write. Thankx a bunchJane Fryer

Sorry no image available
Posted by dublinmike-182617 - 10 years ago

Personally I would make sure that I waslocated on one of the two train lines running into the mountains: Nice - Cuneo or Nice - Digne. Properties like you describe are still available for peanuts, even close to public transport.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Liz Lord-193061 - 10 years ago

hi Jane - yup would agree that St D le S is gorgeous and Alex and Patrice a lovely place to stay .....we are "sticks" dwellers and get a lot of our visitors thinking that they would like to buy up here - reasonably cheap but prices are rising - have some thoughts and details of agents - if you want to drop me a mail.

Liz & Mel

Sorry no image available

Ah yes, I think we did a hike near there recently but I did not look at prices or think about proximity. Certainly nice countryside. ThanksJane Fryer

Sorry no image available
Posted by ChristopherL-188542 - 10 years ago

A little bit "par hazard" we stumbled across St Dalmas le Selvage 2 weeks ago when returning from a vacation in les Hautes Alpes.

What a beautiful and still very natural arriere pays style village it is. And just over an hour from Nice. Check it out - be certain to include a meal at l'Auberge de l'Etoile - sublime food, mountain style hospitality, old style prices. We will make the trip over and over in the future I am sure just to enjoy this place to the full.