DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

where to complain an airline

Posted by abastug - Created: 13 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

7 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 7)

Sorry no image available
Posted by abastug - 13 years ago

Thanks for the advice legless,

but unfortunately I don`t have room in my studio to fit a Boeing; but perhaps I will break one into pieces and decorate my balcony.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Legless-197287 - 13 years ago

Wait till they go bankrupt,then go to the airport and take one of there Boeing 747s off site,that should cover your luggage.

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 13 years ago

Even if it had turned up, any valuables would have gone.  Count yourself lucky they didnt leave you stranded somewhere.

Maybe see if you have some insurance for it, holiday, credit card cover, house contents or whatever.

Tony

Sorry no image available
Posted by abastug - 13 years ago

MikeP and TonyP,

thanks for your replies. 

Mike, in fact I haven`t left out any detail. I filled in the PIR the first day August 1. Then I contacted Alitalia Paris office; I supplied tickets, baggage tags, boarding lefts, contents of the luggage, ... 

They simply do not want to pay for the damage they caused. According to Montreal convention, they are supposed to consider the luggage lost in 21 days (for Alitalia it must be 3 months !) and start the compensation procedure. I checke this also with other airlines and learnt that they obey the rules.  

But now I understand that there is not much hope since this company is going bankrupt. I am not much surprised. With their current attitude to customers, they cannot go any further...

Conclusion: I have no hope of resolving the issue with Alitalia. Now I wonder if there is anything in France like AUC in UK: (found while searching the web). There must be somewhere who cares for the rights of passengers.  

http://www.caa.co.uk/auc/default.asp 

By the way forgot to tell, they also delayed our three other baggages by 3 days. No excuse in return.

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 13 years ago

Tony is right,  I read this morning that they have enough money left to operate for about another month maximum unless something is done.  They've already received a bail out indirectly from the Italian government (which is of dubious legality in terms of EU laws) and as tony says,  I'd think that lost baggage is not on top of their list of priorities.  Nonetheless you do have certain rights under IATA regulation.

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 13 years ago

They risk going bust if they cant restructure before Sept 15th, so it is unlikely the employees care too much about your baggage.

Tony

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 13 years ago

When you first reported the baggage missing at your airport of arrival,  did they give you a form called a PIR, with a reference on it, probably something like NCE AZ and then a series of numbers? This is vital and you must quote that reference in all communications.

If you can't get any satisfaction from the local handling agents,  contact their head office for France or your country of residence, or direct to their main office in Rome.

They are supposed to give you an allowance on arrival to cover immediate necessary expenses such as a change of clothing, and if your baggage does not reappear after a certain time,  there is a formula according to which they pay you out, dependent on the route and weight you checked in.  I can't recall the exact details.

Most missing baggage (about 90%) turns up within 48 hours.  After that period the chances decrease daily, and after this time I'd say the chances are slim indeed.