DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Where to get Sky Package

Posted by Victor-189225 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0

Just bought an apartment in St Tropez area and want to get a Sky Package for UK TV stations.  Need Sky Dish installed, Digibox and card.  Where is best place in area to get these at good prices.  What is the cheapest Sky package to pick up BBC, ITV and C5?

Sorry no image available

4 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 4)

Sorry no image available
Posted by james.cook - 14 years ago

Though free to view cards no longer exist officially, I know where you can obtain them, though I cannot provide those details in this forum.

Sorry no image available
Posted by AAG - 14 years ago

I am not an expert but I have been looking into this myself and this is what I have learnt: Until recently, you needed a Sky Digibox and a free to view card (you got the card for free but needed a UK address) and that allowed you to watch BBC1, BBC2, ITV, C4 and C5 on the Sky encrypted system but without a Sky subscription. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Recently, the BBC decided to go to a totally un-encrypted system (but switched to a different Astra satellite that is harder to receive outside the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />UK). That left ITV, C4 and C5 on the Sky encrypted system without the BBC to fund the card system.

So right now, if you just want the Beebs, you should be able to do so with any digital receiver box (well, a good one anyway) and the right size dish.

If you want the Beebs as well as ITV, C4 and 5, you need a minimum Sky subscription (and a Sky digibox). That will cost you something like £12 a month. The uncertainty is on whether ITV, C4 and 5 will stay where they are…

Again, I am not an expert…

You can install your own system if you are up to it… there are many second hand (and new) receivers on www.ebay.com from £ 50 to 200 and shipping to France is about £ 30. Dishes are easy to find locally and instructions on set up can be found here http://homepage.ntlworld.com/de.sullivan/

If you can’t be bothered, check out the listing of suppliers on Angloinfo.

Good luck.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Penney-180939 - 14 years ago

Contact Martin Hull  we have had 3 systems from him and can thoroughly recommend him he can provide everything needed.                          mobile.  0674478050/0674515313  Leave a message and he will get back to you.

Sorry no image available
Posted by scottydogWB-188647 - 14 years ago

i would also like to know as well,having read about some of the problems people are having on cote dsure ie dish size satilites changing free to air cards not going to work soon,i dont want to buy a package that wont work in a year,i would like to get bbc&itv channel4&5 thats it does anyone know what i can exspect to pay?