DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Where to go during a few day visit?

Posted by ejh - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

4 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 4)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Jelly-193845 - 14 years ago

Hi,

my advice would be to stay in Nice and get a feel for the people... go into the Anglo haunts such as Waynes Bar, O'Neils Bar and talk to people!!! We're all freindly

Good Luck

Jelly

Sorry no image available
Posted by cotedazur-193720 - 14 years ago

Hi, you are going to hate it here, I moved here for work, but came here without checking it out first, big mistake....I am thinking of breaking my contract and moving back to NY

It is very expensive to live here, the dollar is way down so if you plan on living on your savings for a while, think of losing 30% of the dollar as you withdraw from the ATM machine, the cost of food, and the living conditions are nothing like the states, except in very low income areas , which I compare the flats here to be.

Some people are rude mean and not helpfull at all in this part of france, and as for salaries, you will be better paid in the states.

I speak read and write french, and still I dont understand why one cannot just be nice to another person.

Come out here and check things out, but remember to look at the whole picture, and remember to bring a few pair of shoes and you will stepping in stuff left by mans best friend....

Good luck

Sorry no image available
Posted by ejh - 14 years ago

Hey, thanks. that's really good information, exactly what I was looking for.

I have another side question that I'm having trouble finding a firm answer on, that hopefully someone may be able to help me with. I'm trying to compare US salaries vs. France salaries, particularly for an engineering position. Some say France and EU salaries will be less, but a French friend here says it should be more. Does anyone have an experience in approximate pay for a comparable job in the US and France? Thanks!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Shuba - 14 years ago

Are you going to rent a car? If so for hiking you can nearly head in any direction for the most fantastic hikes. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

About 2 hours out of Nice you have "Gorges de Verdon" which must have some of the most spectacular day hikes. Closer there is a nice hike from Bar sur Loup up to Gourdon with the most amazing views from the top over the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Mediterranean.

If you are going to work in Villeneuve you should start with the villages around, Antibes, Sophia, Biot and Villeneuve .

It really depends what you are after, if you like a night life, Nice will be better and there are bus services. Smaller but with a big English speaking community is Antibes. If you prefer a quieter and more local lifestyle, Biot or Valbonne.

Best of luck and enjoy your time here