DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Where to live in Nice

Posted by highburyhank - Created: 15 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by ilight - 14 years ago

Antibes and Juan in the off season would inspire a movie like "the shining". At least Nice has a year round scene. i have known many people who bought a house in nice only to put it on the market a year later. My advice is to live here on a rental for a year before you buy. Dont plunge without knowing the areas because each area has its nice bits and scumridden parts. And this is in flux, but the encroachment is predictable. The port is ok, but dangerous to walk home at night through garibaldi and edge of St. Roch. I dont even go there unless for a good reason. The carre d'or, that is from Gambetta to Place Massena, including the Musiciens is the most convienient. not too far past victor hugo or clemenceau. Live in the center unless you want a villa and place where you have to use a car. My favorite area is the Hotel des postes, Giofreddo area, this is ultra central, no 20 minute walks like some other postings. plus you go can shop at 3 supermarkets within a few minutes, beach few minutes, fruit and veg. market. Stay clear of the old city unless you are game for late night fights, cockroaches, rats, piss and noise everywhere.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rick W - 14 years ago

Try mt boron / alban , both on the port side of town , there was a super appt going recently for 190,000 euros , large garden over looking the ' parc de trois rois '

would loved to have had the money !!

Sorry no image available
Posted by bang-181858 - 14 years ago

my view is stay where you are , or go somewhere else, nice, the cote d a zur, aint a barrel of fun, as you will find out.

trust me

cheers

Sorry no image available
Posted by highburyhank - 15 years ago

Wow,  I didn't realise I would get these many replies. Thank you all. Yes I thought of Antibes first, but I'm a city boy. Antibes/Juan Les Pins looks less like a community than a commodity. I may be wrong :-( I'll check it out.

Anyway I will be down there soon and find out for myself. I salute you all.

David

Sorry no image available
Posted by SirLurkalot - 15 years ago

Someone who (I think) lives in Nice suggesting another town is bad because of corruption in the Mairie seems a bit rich.  Have you heard what Jean Medecin got up to?

Sorry no image available
Posted by Canteloupe - 15 years ago

Eggshelly St George, I was in Islington just a few weeks ago... but then it was a Sunday night and a little quieter than it might perhaps normally be. Raining though, bloody typical!

Tis true there is a corner here for every taste. After four years bang on the coast I'd had enough of being ripped off, deafened by sooped-up mobilettes tearing round corners in the middle of the night, stuck in tourist traffic in July and August, old doddery folk with their old doddery poodles cacking all over the pavement, and THE HEAT in summer with no respite....... 

Erm, that's it really.

Canteloupe

Sorry no image available
Posted by stgeorge-182529 - 15 years ago

Canteloupe !

It all depends what inspires you !

The Arriere Pays is fabulous - a different way of life though , and it certainly has its own merits , as you say !

Don't think you've seen Islington recently !!

stgeorge

Sorry no image available
Posted by Canteloupe - 15 years ago

Live near the coast!? Ya gotta be kiddin' right! Nightmare! Over-priced bars, restaurants, accommodation... Noise, pollution, tourists... How can anyone write in those conditions? The Riviera makes Islington look like Sleepy Hollow. Get ye to the arrière-pays for great food and drink at decent prices, friendly locals, peace, tranquility, quality of life.....

Canteloupe

Sorry no image available
Posted by stgeorge-182529 - 15 years ago

Sirlurkalot !

The corruption !

stgeorge

Sorry no image available
Posted by SirLurkalot - 15 years ago

Stgeorge,

The Antibes you describe isn't one I recognise, but I guess we're all entitled to our own opinion.  Living in the old town, I don't have a problem with lack of security, late night revellers or con men.  I'm much more worried about late night revellers, seedy down-and-outs and violence in Nice.  I like the smaller scale of the buildings in vieil Antibes, rather than the higher-rise buildings in vieux Nice.  It's comfortable and friendly.  As for corrupted social balance and false people, obviously all those happy people in Antibes don't agree with you.  I'm not sure if prices are higher, but if they are, they are because people want to be there because its a nice place.....

Antibes does have more English speakers than elsewhere, but remember they are very heavy outnumbered by the French.  An English town it ain't.  In Antibes you can have both an English and a French life, which I like.

What is it about Antibes' development that you think "hasn't been handled properly"?