DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Which route to take

Posted by LoriMansour - Created: 13 years ago
0 0

I have to pick up my daughter from the Nice airport.  I'll be coming from Avignon.  With all the horror stories about the autoroute the last few days, I am not sure if I should give it a try or take a smaller route???  Considering how many people are saying that tourist travel has dropped, I guess those that are on vacation here are all traveling via the autoroute.  Can't blame them, but it is awful to be on the autoroute when there is a back up or an accident.  You simply can't get off - have to sit and wait it out.  Been there, done that and would like to avoid it, however, the speed I can make on the autoroute when it is not backed up is hard to resist.

Suggestions??    Thanks.

Sorry no image available

9 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 9)

Sorry no image available
Posted by LoriMansour - 13 years ago

It's only funny after the fact huh...

Well with the terrible weather, I'll probably get stuck in some sort of jam up no matter what.  Will just give the autoroute a try - after listening to the traffic radio..

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 13 years ago

When we were driving down last year, a truck carrying olives had jack-knifed and spread olives all over the A7.

As vehicules tried to get past the wreckage, they squashed the olives, turned them into olive oil, (First Pressing, the best) and spread it all over a stretch of the A7.

The fire brigade had to close the autoroute completely for a whole day, while they tried to clean up the oil.

We heard this on the radio, so we stopped at Nuit St Georges for the night, but the next day, when the A7 was open again, all the motorists emerged from their hotels and doubled the usual traffic, so it was jammed again.

Tony

Sorry no image available
Posted by Humptydingo-180377 - 13 years ago

Spent the last part of my working life in the UK sitting for hours on the M25 every night and morning so I said enoughs enough before I lose my marbles or develop road rage - never yet met a traffic jam on the autoroutes down here - perhaps I've been lucky !

Sorry no image available

No TonyP, our back up was due to a big rig (loaded with beer canisters) losing control and crashing onto several other cars - completely crushing one to an unrecognisable mess.  The big rig's beer canisters went everywhere causing more havoc.  It was ugly.  We sat for two hours while the victims of the accident and the mess were cleaned up.  Can't risk that when picking up a 10 year old child...  Going down the night before..staying at an airport hotel.

Sorry no image available

Are you referring to the fires last Friday?

I was driving back that day, and some joker had been throwing lighted matches out every kilometer or so.  When I went through, the fires were just getting started and there wasnt much of a jam other than people slowing down to go through the smoke.

Later I heard that it had developed into a full scale blaze with major jams.

Tony

Sorry no image available

Thanks for the replies.  TonyP - would love to do that, but my daughter is 10 years old and I have to sign the paperwork to pick her up as Delta Requires - also she can't get herself to the airport alone..

Already plan to monitor the 107. traffic readio station.  Speak French fine, so don't have to wait around for the English report.  Yes, the normal travel time is just under 3 hours.

Do I expect a 2.5 hour tie up.  I hope not, but we were stuck just two weeks ago on the A7 for two hours - no one moved.  It was a virtual parking lot. 

What traffic jams ... you'd have to have read the newspaper here for the Vaucluse.  It was plastered all over the front and interior pages.

Guess I'll listen to the traffic radio station and decide from there.  Probably take the autoroute..

Sorry no image available

Most of the problems are on Saturday and to a lesser extent Friday and Sunday, when the tourists arrive or leave.

On those days the A8 gets busy in the afternoon in the direction of Nice and in the morning in the direction of Avignon.

So if you have to travel on those days, it is better to start out early and go back after 15:00.

If it was me, I would book my daughter on the train and pick her up at Avignon station!

Tony

Sorry no image available
Posted by legend_in_my_lunchtime-182603 - 13 years ago

I did Avignon Nice on the A7/A8 mid-afternoon Monday - piece of cake.  What horror stories are you referring to?

My nav-system says Avignon-Nice on A7/A8 is 260km and wil take about 2½ hours.  Setting it to avoid autoroutes it plots via Apt and St André les Alpes for 300km and 5 hours approx. 

So - do you really expect as much as 2½ hours delay?

Sorry no image available
Posted by TerryT-188383 - 13 years ago

One thing you could do is have your radio tuned to the trafic information station. They keep travellers informed of blockages and accidents. Have a detailed map in the car with you so you can pull over when you need to and plan an alternative route around the problem then get back on. Of course you have to understand French, unless they're also having information in other languages over summer. The music on the station hasn't been too bad in my experience either.

But with that amount of distance to travel I'd be autorouting it. Even if you have to sit something out the chances are it's still going to be quicker than taking the RN7 for example.