DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Who putta da lights out?

Posted by Mark Dezzani - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Mark Dezzani - 14 years ago

Mike asked: '...how is the Italian media handling the blackout?'

There was some speculation about sabotage, and a bit of finger pointing at the French and Swiss; but there has mainly been criticism of the country's own infrastructure. TV reports generally looked at the effects region by region. Locally 'La Lanterna' (The Lantern lighthouse) in Genova was reported as having been extinguished by the power cut, but pilot boats were able to operate and guide shipping in and out of Genova's port without too much disruption.

There was of course reports of people being freaked out by the power cut, especially those trapped in trains, lifts etc.. and celebrating Rome's White Night Festival. Many initially thought that the black out was due to terrorists.

One thing that made me laugh was a British radio report on Monday which said that experts were saying that Italy's power infrastructure needs revising. Talk about being wise after the event!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Runaway-182887 - 14 years ago

Glad to see there's not just me out of step with the rest of the world Mikep J

.........and no, it wasn't any of those, but I may go on a hunt into the loft to see if I can find the book

xx

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 14 years ago

I think Neville Shute wrote a book with a plot involving massive power cuts. 

On the Beach was about a nuclear war, No Highway about an aircraft with metal fatigue, A Town Like Alice is about WW2 in Malaysia and the Aussie Outback ........

Anyone remember ......  no ... never mind,  time to go to bed, said Zebedee ...... boing .......

Sorry no image available
Posted by Runaway-182887 - 14 years ago

I once read a sci fi book which was about aliens deciding that we had gone quite far enough in our so called 'civilisation' and decided to put a stop to it - how?  Turn off ALL the electricity.  Very effective way too in my estimation.

The book was years ago and I can't remember what it was called, but it was very good, no blood, guts, gore, monsters, etc., so probably not good for todays thrill seekers, but a slow crescendo to what would happen to us all if it really did happen.......... think about it!

xx

PS. before anyone says that it can't have been that good or I would have remembered the title..........if you knew the number of books I've read over the years, you'd  understand!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Sam the clam-189505 - 14 years ago

If I remember correctly, Sky had two guitarists, John Williams played accoustic, and Herbie Flowers played electric. Whatever happened to Herbie?

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 14 years ago

Sky's guitarist was the great classical player John Williams...

Mark: how is the Italian media handling the blackout? Everything I've seen on TV has been through the BBC/CNN filter, and I don't read Italian too well so Italian Web sites aren't a great deal of help.

Mike

Sorry no image available
Posted by Mark Dezzani - 14 years ago

Thanks Lana for the Sweden/Denamrk omission; so that's the US/Canada, London, Sweden/Denmark and now Italy plus briefly parts of Switzerland & Austria. Any bets on where next? What is easier to fix, a system vulnerable to hackers/sabotage or an interconnected grid that can go down like a 'house of cards'  if a tree trunk falls? I have some friends who would claim that it is all down to aliens :-)

Thanks Phil, glad you enjoyed the show Saturday, I am afraid that Sunday's show was a repeat due to 'circumstances well under my control!' The John Lydon soundalike is an illustrious friend of mine called Daz, who was responsible for much of the good party music selected. Thanks for the Curved Air correction. OK, hoods up. Looking Curved Air up in my Penguin Encyclopedia of Popular Music I see that Curved Air's keyboardist was Francis Monkman. Didn't he appear in a band called Sky in the late 70's? Who was the Sky guitarist? Perhaps we should continue this off topic discussion elsewhere!

Sorry no image available
Posted by jjmiller - 14 years ago

Mark,

It does seem like a little more is going on. A little to erie to be coincidence.

Sorry no image available
Sorry no image available
Posted by Phil Champ - 14 years ago

quote:Whilst I am on the subject of this Italian frontier region, are there any other AngloINFO users in this part of the world?

Does Beausoleil count? Great show last night as usual, Mark, but the singer with Curved Air was (quickly donning anorak) Sonja Kristina. And who was the tipsy John Lydon soundalike in the studio with you?

Phil