DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Why are rental cars registered in 76?

Posted by MSM2000UK-181816 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

6 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 6)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Steve R-187639 - 14 years ago

I've got a 06 plate and a friend of mine sent me a very patriotic 'George Cross England' country plate which I would love to attach but fear that I will then be targetted.

I used to drive a UK registered right hand drive car with a GB sticker on the back but some poor fool stole it (the sticker, not the car).

Anyone else have an England/GB badge on their car and has it caused any problems?

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rossco-189487 - 14 years ago

Perhaps, it also might mean that the person is from a country that actually knows how to drive. 06 certainly doesn't mean he isn't a) a complete tool b) knows where he's going and most importantly c) about to do something stupid!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Chris - Lyndsay - 14 years ago

It's also a handy way to Identify that the driver is probably not from round here, is lost and is about to do something stupid !

Sorry no image available
Posted by MSM2000UK-181816 - 14 years ago

Oh right, thank you. With reference to Mike's comment, it may have used to be the 51 cars that were targeted, but now its the 76's. Im sure there was a posting about 2 weeks ago which was talking about this exact topic, namely theives targeting the people in 76 reg cars.

Thanks

Max

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 14 years ago

They used to all be registered in 51,  then that changed because that province increased its road tax.  Also,  any car from that area was a likely target for thieves as it was likely to be a rental car.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rossco-189487 - 14 years ago

Its because the area is known as "zone franche" where the cars aren't taxed. The builders of the cars sell them to the rental companies without tax.