DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Will it do what I Wanadoo?

Posted by gibbings - Created: 13 years ago
0 0

I went to a phone shop in Nice and got a phone line connected together with an internet set up (Wanadoo) suppliedwith an external modem.

What I would like to know is is I am able to use the internet modem and software with any phone line, in another building for instance.

I know the most obvious answer is to try it myself but I am a long way away from the glorious city.

Any help greatly apreciated.

Louis

Sorry no image available

3 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 3)

Sorry no image available
Posted by gibbings - 13 years ago

Thank you both for your time and advice.Louis

Sorry no image available
Posted by legend_in_my_lunchtime-182603 - 13 years ago

It depends on what you mean by "modem".

If it is a classic dial-up modem then yes, you can use your dial-up Wanadoo service anywhere in France where you have access to a landline because a dial-up connection runs over normal phone lines.

If it is a modem for an ADSL connection, then the answer is slightly different - you can use your ADSL modem and logon credentials on any other landline in France only if that landline has already been conditioned for the ADSL service.  (This will in all likelihood mean that the owner of the other line is already an ADSL customer of Wanadoo or some other Internet service provider.  In this situation you are borrowing their line, but logging on to Wanadoo with your own credentials).

Sorry no image available
Posted by NuttR - 13 years ago

Assuming you are not using this new-fangled DSL stuff, you should be able to use the modem on any phone line anywhere.  However if you are in an office for instance you might have to change the phone number to add a "0" to get an outside line. 

Does this make sense?