DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Windows XP - Sound

Posted by LindaB-183836 - Created: 15 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by davidl-181802 - 15 years ago

Heres a suggestion - press the windows key and pause/break key to get to systems properties. Go to the hardware tab and click device manager. If any of the items have warning markers or crosses by them (specifically the audio drivers) post the details here and maybe we can find links to the drivers. Also can you tell us what laptop and what version of XP you are using.

Sorry no image available

Sorry - should have asked if it was a laptop. My goof

Sorry no image available
Posted by LindaB-183836 - 15 years ago

thanks for your suggestion - but i'd already tried that and it didn't help !!lcb

Sorry no image available
Posted by Tony Miller - 15 years ago

Linda

The reason the sound is not working  is the procedure for upgrading from Win 2000 or any win OS was not followed re audio, first if this is a laptop from a multinational, go to their web site, and go to support and then dowloads for your model and look for audio and XP and you will most proberly find a driver which you will need to install, if this is a desktop then you will have to find out who's audio card has been installed and then find the XP driver.

If you are not sure just let me know the laptop model exactly (can only help with multinationals) and I will find the driver you need and tell you how to get it.

Before you do this please go to START/CONTROL PANEL/SOUNDS AND AUDIO DEVICES, then under volume tab ensure nothing is ticked and the the device sound slide bar is nearly all the way to the right, now click the audio tab and let me know what the sound playback default device name is and the same for record device which is below.

Maybe then we can get your sound back

Tony Miller

Sorry no image available
Posted by rosetta-185721 - 15 years ago

hi Linda,

try the sound troubleshooter - it will run through the steps and tell you what to check for. To run it:

Click Start, and then click Help and Support. Under Pick a Help Topic, click Fixing a problem. In the left pane, click Games, sound, and video problems. In the right pane, click Sound Troubleshooter.

good luck,

Linda

Sorry no image available

what do you mean by 'not if it's a laptop' ? 

- do you mean that sound would not have been wiped by the transition from 2000 to XP?

lcb

Sorry no image available
Posted by davidn-184078 - 15 years ago

Not if its a laptop.david n

Sorry no image available

have to disagree!!  i've had this laptop for 2 years with windows 2000, and always got sound - from the internet, and also via emailed jokes etc (plus the beeps).  so, perhaps the sound was wiped when XP was installed?lcb

Sorry no image available

If you don't have speakers or headphones the most you'll get out of a PC is beeps.

Sorry no image available

i've never used headphones or speakers - the sound just seems to come out of the computer somewhere !!lcb