DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Wireless Internet

Posted by rosetta-185721 - Created: 13 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

9 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 9)

Sorry no image available
Posted by simonwynne - 13 years ago

I agree that one should purchase own router modem and not from the service providor, as I understand 54 is suitable for around the aprtment but if like me you want surf on Blue Beach whilst sipping coffee under this beautiful sunshine, try 108, this will more relate to distance rather than speed, also on NC cable if u can get it ,offer a good package with tv...the internet broadband on meg for 20e/mois subject to grouping with non of those  funny dailups, NON of those awlful mods to IE or MS or OUtllook.

Simon Templer

Sorry no image available
Posted by Shanwick - 13 years ago

I recently bought a Wireless ADSL Router with built-in firewall from Darty. I paid about 120 Euros and although a Wireless card for the laptop was included I didn't need it as it's already installed in my machine.Set-up was very easy with the disc provided and it hasn't faltered since.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Miss Varna - 13 years ago

Well it is slightly more than plug & play but the installation manuals are really easy (Dummy-proofed ;-) - setting up your own modem is not much more complicated as it comes with a manual as well, and on the support sites of the ISPs you find what parameters you need to set up for your connection. I did it without my hubby's help, so go figure ;-)

Don't be shy, give it a try!

Sorry no image available
Posted by rosetta-185721 - 13 years ago

Thanks Miss Varna and Legend and the person who emailed. I'll think on - not sure if I could set up my own modem/router, but you've answered my question about whether the wanadoo/tiscali offers are really plug & play. I also hate all that stuff being added to my machine - it's so cheeky.

Sorry no image available

I agree with legend about the modem. The one that Club Internet offered was a very basic one where you could not alter any of the settings, nor did it have a built-in firewall. My hubby (IT-manager ;-) tried for hours but then gave up, instead went to Darty and bought a modem/router plus the card both from Linksys (belong to Cisco).

Also, at that time the Wi-Fi offer was 40Euro/month, modem included, the ordinary 1024k offer was 10 Euros cheaper. Ever since we have our own equipment we changed our forfait and now save 10 Euros/month, not to mention that the stuff is ours to keep.

Sorry no image available
Posted by legend_in_my_lunchtime-182603 - 13 years ago

It's quite easy to buy a WiFi package from Wanadoo or Tiscali and get started for very little outlay but my advice would be to be very careful about security like Miss Varna has said.

Security is a double-edged sword.  Too little and you are open to all sorts of abuse, too much and you will find WiFi connections frustratingly difficult to establish for PCs that you add/change later in your household.  There is a happy medium for home WiFi security which needs some fine tuning depending on the type of material you buy and the age of the software on your PC.

I would avoid the operator-supplied WiFi packages like the plague.  Not because they are a bad deal commercially (they usually are quite attractively priced!). I don't like them because they are usually lower range in terms of WiFi performance & stability and to get then to work, most people follow the "idiot-proof" instructions which, unfortunately treats you like an "idiot" and installs intrusive software on your PC, changing your Internet Explorer, watching your surfing habits, offering preferred search engines, spot marketing, etc.

As you already seem to have a working ADSL connection, a good solution for you would be to buy your own WiFi modem/router and hook it to your existing ADSL line in place of the single PC USB modem you have currently.  I'd recommend buying a card for your PC made by the same manufacturer as the router which simplifies setting security level appropriate for your household.

Sorry no image available
Posted by legend_in_my_lunchtime-182603 - 13 years ago

It's quite easy to buy a WiFi package from Wanadoo or Tiscali and get started for very little outlay but my advice would be to be very careful about security like Miss Varna has said.

Security is a double-edged sword.  Too little and you are open to all sorts of abuse, too much and you will find WiFi connections frustratingly difficult to establish for PCs that you add/change later in your household.  There is a happy medium for home WiFi security which needs some fine tuning depending on the type of material you buy and the age of the software on your PC.

I would avoid the operator-supplied WiFi packages like the plague.  Not because they are a bad deal commercially (they usually are quite attractively priced!). I don't like them because they are usually lower range in terms of WiFi performance & stability and to get then to work, most people follow the "idiot-proof" instructions which, unfortunately treats you like an "idiot" and installs intrusive software on your PC, changing your Internet Explorer, watching your surfing habits, offering preferred search engines, spot marketing, etc.

As you already seem to have a working ADSL connection, a good solution for you would be to buy your own WiFi modem/router and hook it to your existing ADSL line in place of the single PC USB modem you have currently.  I'd recommend buying a card for your PC made by the same manufacturer as the router which simplifies setting security level appropriate for your household.

Sorry no image available
Posted by rosetta-185721 - 13 years ago

Thanks for your help. One of the reasons for doing it is that my hubby is getting his own laptop too now, so we didn't want to fight over the desk/USB modem port!

Sorry no image available

We have Wi-Fi but with Club Internet (which does not make any big difference) and both my PC and my hubby's laptop are connected.

With Club Internet, it was damn easy to connect their hardware and get it to running. However we then bought our own modem/router and had to configure it on our own which was no big deal either (big advantage: The modem company has a toll free-number and support in the US -> English-speaking ;-)

My hubby's laptop is 3 years old so yours should work as well. You'll need a PCMCIA card or whatever they are called, you just put that into the slot on your laptop. When we signed up for Club internet's wi-fi offer they asked us how many machines we have, what we have, what O/S etc. They sent us the stuff for my PC plus the card for my man's laptop. I assume other providers will do the same but you better ask.

More tricky is the security part, LANs are pretty vulnerable, someone might easily spot your connection and surf on your costs :( A good firewall is thus essential but easy to obtain, try Zone Alarm for example, it is freeware.

We are very happy with the speed (but we have 1024k) and the connection is stable.

Hope this helps.