DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

wireless internet

Posted by fugly-185614 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by fugly-185614 - 14 years ago

is adsl speed about the best that can be got at the moment, or does anyone know of how to increase the speed.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Liesa Blond - 14 years ago

I have had a two-way internet-by-satellite system for two years now.  It is a Star-duo system that I bought from www.bentleywalker.com in the UK.  I found them on the internet after much searching. 

It was a little tricky to have hooked up, but has given us no problems since then.  It required a satellite dish installer and a computer guy to work together for about 2 or 3 hours to get it right.

It is not cheap, but has been a good alternative to the dial-up connection that we had.

Feel free to ask more questions.  I could pass along the contact information of the computer guy I used.  He has since been involved in the setup of several others.  He is probably much fast now, because we were the first he did.

www.moving-to-france-made-easy.com

Sorry no image available
Posted by SirLurkalot - 14 years ago

CJ Flynn,

I'm sorry I wasn't clear in what I was asking.  I'd like to ask if there are any cafes etc around the CdA that are equipped with Wi-Fi that I can access whilst drinking a coffee.  I'm not interested in having Wi-Fi at home; the value of Wi-Fi to me is to access the internet whilst I'm out and about.

Near where my sister lives in Norwich there's a pub with a Wi-Fi transmitter.  If you have the appropriate card in your laptop and pay however much per hour, you can surf whilst drinking there.  Starbucks, airport lounges etc seem to be starting to offer the same access.  Does anyone know of any cafes etc around the CdA with a Wi-Fi transmitter that offer their clients access to the internet via Wi-Fi by the hour?

Sorry no image available
Posted by C J Flynn - 14 years ago

Jan said: I will be there next week.Jan, please write to let us know how it worked for you or others.How many people peered into screens just about bright enough to see as they wiped salt water from their keyboards.It is a great technology. It would be nice to know how many early adoptors there are.Thanks, C J

Sorry no image available
Posted by Jan-181414 - 14 years ago

As if by magic...who did that?

Jan

Anything for a peaceful life

Sorry no image available
Posted by Jan-181414 - 14 years ago

Check this out

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/3068915.stm

I will be there next week. 

Jan

Anything for a peaceful life

Sorry no image available

quote:Are there any cafes/public places equipped with Wi-Fi that can be accessed around the CdA?id=quote>I have seen many lists, (google on Cote d'Azur 802.11 hotel) but when I go to find the places they are low key and expensive, or were temporary sites or...unfortunately, like my company...not quite online yet. (The State sent me a very official letter on very expensive paper that promises that the computer will be fixed soon so that they can create the K-bis soon soon soon...)Kastwireless seems to have a number of small hotels online. Check their site. The problem, as I see it, is that the expense of setting up the line and the hardware and the software, plus all the normal business considerations, means that the prices are set for business people and tourists who really need Wi-Fi, since it is hard to go online otherwise.How to offer 'locals' the service without killing the remunerative pricing structure that pays for the service? Secret virtual handshakes perhaps?Good luck to us all.C J

Sorry no image available

There are web sites that describe connecting two points together vi Wi-Fi equipment at distances exceeding 6 miles (10 kilometers.) If you want to read them, let me know. There are even sites that talk about passing WiFi up to 26 miles away. The rules of WiFi are generally:Line of sightMore distance by making beam of antenna increasingly narrowIt is getting easier all the time with stronger, faster, cheaper, more secure '11g' technology, the signal of which can go up to 500 meters. For comsumers equipment see (as examples) www.buffalotech.com, www.linksys.com, and the technology leading 'Airport' equipment of www.apple.comIs there someone within line of sight of you that has access to ADSL? A couple of antennas and a bridge and you are flying.Good luck...more info as needed,C J FlynnInternet Marine, SARL&lt1;http://www.internetmarine.net&gt1;Working Toward the End of the Dark Ages

Sorry no image available
Posted by SirLurkalot - 14 years ago

My question about Wi-Fi intended to ask whether anyone knows about the locations/access arrangements for Wi-Fi access in public places.  Are there any cafes/public places equipped with Wi-Fi that can be accessed around the CdA?

Sorry no image available
Posted by delboy_trading - 14 years ago

Yes, WIFI is ok but it depends on the aplication needed, i.e if you don't have a 'base unit' (one connected to ADSL or a network) its not that usefull, if you do have a base station (the computer inside for example) then its great as you can sit in the pool and surf the web on your laptop etc etc....!!!!

If you have specific questions, fire away!!!

D.B.T