DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Word on laptop disappeared??

Posted by melandave - Created: 5 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by stuart06-195098 - 5 years ago
Sorry no image available
Posted by melandave - 5 years ago

To go back to a date before the catastrophe :-)) is that when I have to start up using F1 or F2 ?? No worries, good suggestion, I'll look up how to do it - all seems a game of cat and my mouse at the moment ........ thanks for that last input.

Sorry no image available

Have you considered trying a system restore to a date prior to the date when the CATatsrophe occured ?

The 'lack of space notice' sounds ominous,have you considered transfering/backing up/deleting some of the stored data?

Rgds.

Sorry no image available

Thanks Jim, I'll try installing as you said. The cat? pretending to be too dumb to get a job all this time..........!

Sorry no image available
Posted by liddane-276028 - 5 years ago

Sorry about that!

You might be able to get an Office suite, and install only Word from that. Otherwise, you may not have enough space to do a full installation.

You may also then need fix your file association so that the documents open again in your new version of Word.

If so, go to

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

Cherish that cat - he knows more about XP than I do!

Jim

Sorry no image available

It is good of you to take the time to advise me! Did that run test - and nothing there, so its gone (interrogation of cat begins!!). Good point though about me only having word and frontpage, so now understand why can't download the office.........

My word docs now open with (from what I can tell) MFC wordpad??

Thanks again for your help on this liddane, think I must now reinstall word.

Sorry no image available

That does not look very good....

One final test

Go to START

Press RUN

Type

WINWORD

into the box, and press

OK.

If a box comes up saying WINDOWS CANNOT FIND WINWORD, then there is no quick solution.

You wrote....

Tried to download microsoft office trial, but not enough space which is peculiar because the space must have been there before the disappearance of the original which was already installed when I bought the laptop.

Our reply is.......

This is possible because from what you say, you never had a full copy of OFFICE - just FRONTPAGE and WORD, whereas the full OFFICE suite contains many more programs than those two, including ACCESS, EXCEL etc.

So if you were already low on space and tried to download the full Office suite, it could cause space difficulties.

Incidentally, are you able to open your WORD documents at this moment in any other program?

Finally, you say you may have downloaded an XP update, but this should not result in the loss of the entire program. However, one update has been known to cause file association problems.

Jim Liddane

Sorry no image available

Thanks for suggestions. I cannot find winword.exe.

possibly downloaded microsoft xp update.

It looks like its a mystery. Tried to download microsoft office trial, but not enough space which is peculiar because the space must have been there before the disappearance of the original which was already installed when I bought the laptop.

So many thanks for help, looks like I need to start again.

Sorry no image available

I think she has tried to install it again, but a lack of space notice is coming up, which suggests it might still be there,

To MelandDave...

Do you have the following file on your PC?

WINWORD.EXE

To check, press

START

Then click on

SEARCH

and then click on

FILES & FOLDERS

and let it rip.

If you find it, right-click the word WINWORD,EXE and when it says CREATE SHORTCUT, click again.

It will then usually read something on the lines of WINDOWS CANNOT CREATE A SHORTCUT HERE, DO YOU WANT IT INSTALLED ON THE DESKTOP.

Just say YES.

Jim Liddane

Sorry no image available

Which version of office do you have,do you have the install disc(s)?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/821593