Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.


Working in France for a British Company

Posted by The Saint-185412 - Created: 16 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

5 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 5)

Sorry no image available
Posted by sheila bardon - 16 years ago

For child benefit / 70% medical cover info please see the CHILD ALLOWANCES posting by OSHO and read my entry.

I'm afraid I don't have the ability to link the postings - anyone who has , feel free!



Sorry no image available
Posted by sheila bardon - 16 years ago

Normally one pays tax and National Insurance contributions on all income IN THE COUNTRY IN WHICH IT IS PAID. ie if working for a UK company and paid in Sterling into a UK bank account, you pay your tax & NI in the UK.

If you are non resident for tax purposes in the UK you have to spend less than 90 days per annum AND less than 180 days over 3 years (!) in the UK. The days on which you fly into and out of the UK do not count towards the 90/180 day rule.

You still need to fill out an annual tax return which goes to the CENTRE FOR NON-RESIDENTS in BOOTLE.

The French tax you on all world wide income if you are resident in France. HOWEVER, the double taxation agreement (which they have with more than 70 countries) means that you CANNOT be expected to pay tax on the same income twice.

So why Cupplet is being taxed in both countries is a mystery. I'm afraid, Root, that they are going to spot that you don't seem to be paying tax anywhere (they usually track residents by their taxe d'habitation)

For you Saint, UK non-residents status is an interesting one as you are liable for UK tax on the money you earn whilst actually in the UK ie during the week/month you will be in the UK, but the money you earn whilst here in France will not be. However as your total income will have been declared and assessed in the UK, in theory the French can't touch it.  

I suspect that you all need to talk lwith a good accountant who is conversant with both tax systems. (we use two - one in the UK, the other in Sophia)

The tax depts are busy tightening loopholes and catching tax evaders. In our case, the UK in April required proof of French residency, a copy of our French tax return, 'plane ticket stubs to prove dates of arrival/departure in the UK, and bank statements to check credit card/ cheque payments. For their part, the French demanded a copy of our UK tax return and we've been non-resident with a UK income which has been declared in both countries for years!

Big Brother really is watching you!


PS NI contributions is another whole can of worms!


Sorry no image available
Posted by root-187816 - 16 years ago

I seem to have had a totally different experience to the other people posting on this thread. I have a UK employment contract but I live in France, and after I had been over here for about 6 months somebody told me that I could apply for an NT ('no tax') tax code. I didn't believe them but I contacted the Inland Revenue in the UK just in case, and they confirmed that I could do this provided I was "not normally resident" in the UK for more than a certain number of days each year (can't remember the exact number, it's a few weeks though). About two months later my tax code had been changed to NT and I stopped having to pay any income tax at all, plus I got a rebate of all the tax I'd paid up until then, which was nice! This was just last year, too.

Sorry no image available
Posted by cupplet - 16 years ago

Hi saint,

I moved to France whilst working for my British company (large blue-chip) but as I worked at home in France and like you, only went back to the UK every now and again, they got the wind up and declared me to the French tax authorities as, in practice, I was working in France and if undeclared the company could face massive fines. So - they declared me to France and I now pay tax in the UK and also extra tax in France. I am single (although living with my partner and her kids) and the extra tax a single guys pays in France is almost beyond belief. So - be careful but if you work for a small company it may not make too much difference - many ex-pats live here but only pay UK tax as they do not actually do any work in this country.

Despite the fact that the work that I did at home was not for any French projects, the simple fact that I was paid by my company whilst working at home was enough !

Sorry no image available
Posted by Twilight-186781 - 16 years ago

When I worked in france for a british company I got taxed in uk. The company was registered with uk and I never seemed to have any problems.