Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.


Working in Southern Ireland

Posted by joy-182973 - Created: 16 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

4 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 4)

Sorry no image available
Posted by joy-182973 - 16 years ago

Thanks Mr Legend and GemG and TonyP for the advice I think i must  have been living in France for 2 long to know countries names in English!! But Irelande du sud  c'est Irelande du sud they don't have the same regulations as Irelande du Nord, so what do you call Northern Ireland??

My friend is a one man band the architects that contacted him found his web site (that i did for him!!www.saam83.com :) because they were having  a hard job finding roller shutters in EIRE. He probably hasn't even thought of asking his accountant!

I will send the links on to him, that I think will be very useful,

Will let you know if the contract comes off as I should get a weekend in Dublin helping with the translations!


Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 16 years ago

Normally the rules are that if the Irish client is a company, they get billed VAT free.  The Irish company, in their VAT declaration, has to pay Irish VAT and claim it back in one operation.  The net result is zero, but they cant just not declare it.

If the client is a private person, then they pay French VAT on the goods, and they pay the service part (fitting) in cash, used notes. 

Just joking!!!

When I was in Belgium, and made such a VAT free bill, I had to quote the law which says it could be VAT free.  The law was, and I quote.

“TVA due dans l'Etat membre du cocontractant, en application de l'article 21 paragraphe 3,7 du code belge de la TVA et de l'article 21 alinéa 26 de la 6° directive européenne du 17 mai 1977, en matière d'harmonisation des législations des Etats membres, relative aux taxes sur le chiffre d'affaires.”<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />


See, I still know it by heart.


Sorry no image available
Posted by legend_in_my_lunchtime-182603 - 16 years ago

Congratulations! to your friend for winning an export contract.  If s/he wishes to keep her/his customer happy, I suggest that s/he refers to their country as Ireland (or even Eire) as there is no such country as southern Ireland.

Next, on a more helpful note - inter-EU VAT rules.  It is different for goods than it is for services.  I've no idea what measures s/he will take for the service aspect (i.e. the fitting of the shutters) but for the supply of the goods, it is a simple export/import.  Although there is free passage within the EU the sales tax is still calculated as when customs controls were in place.  i.e. s/he exports at exempt rate and imports at local rate appropriate to the goods.  The end customer (if VAT registered claims VAT refund of local rate as usual).   This will cause a final price differential equivalent to the difference in the VAT rates.

I'm surprised that the chambre de commerce cannot advise on this but perhaps they are expecting that companies exporting goods/services would have an acountant to advise them.

Sorry no image available
Posted by GemG - 16 years ago

Based on what we learnt in law, as an EU citizen he has the right to work in any other EU state either as an employee or self employed.A quick search of the internet just brought up these:[url]http://old.emigrant.ie/living/[/url][url]http://www.manpower.ie/jobseekers/main_relocating_ireland.asp[/url][url]http://www.oasis.gov.ie/moving_country/moving_to_ireland/working_in_ireland.html[/url][url]http://content.monster.ie/working/[/url]That should keep him busy for a bit!