DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Your Chance to share your story

Posted by linzi-mermaid - Created: 15 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by linzi-mermaid - 15 years ago

Thanks to everyone who shared there stories :)

Linzi & Steve

The Best labour saving device ever invented is tommorow

Sorry no image available
Posted by nicandsi-188743 - 15 years ago

Thanks for that Mike.

Owen's a good freind of our's but he's now took a low profile and let his son Mark run the firm now. I always deal with Owen so dont know the firm's phone number thankyou for putting it on for those who might need it.

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 15 years ago

quote:try Northweld satalite number i

It's North Weald Satellite, and the number is here.

Sorry no image available
Posted by nicandsi-188743 - 15 years ago

We moved here almost 11 years ago now. We left England with £1000 an old mini bus and a small caravan we said the french would take one look at us and say oh no a gypsy invasion...lol

We were willing to do any job to enable us to live in this wonderful place.

It was hard at times.

But now after a lot of hard work we have our own company.

I class this paradise as my home. We married here. Both my children were born here. They go to a french school. They are french.

We did also miss the t v and have a sky dish etc.

For those of you who are wanting to sort that out try Northweld satalite number is in the riviera reporter. very nice people and know all there is to know. 

If you have enough determination then you will be fine.

Good luck

We know many people if you need any help just contact me .

Nicola 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Froggy12 - 15 years ago

My mistake then shakesrear ;-) Sorry I read it in the first degree, if it really was irony. But do keep admiring us though, by any means ;-) !Froggy12

Sorry no image available
Posted by shakesrear - 15 years ago

Hello Froggy,one of the things i admire about the french is their refusal to say "just kidding". Irony and satire are delivered deadpan without the slightest acknowlegement of them. Woe be unto you if you don't get it. At least this has been my happy experience (such a refreshing change from americans who must say "just kidding" when often their meaning is blindingly obvious). I suppose this doesn't apply to every frenchman/woman.

Sorry no image available
Posted by palmerbarbara2001 - 15 years ago

my husband have lived down here for 13 years we started off by renting and the brought our villa 4 years ago it was far from easy but i had a lot of help from friends we is much needed down here you have to start off with a fair bit of money behind you, plus being able to speak some french and also be able to be willing to do any sort of job it helps if you have some sort of trade and if you know someone already living here it is a matter of who you know not what you know jobs are getting harder and harder and the paper work is not easy and the banks are not very helpfull sorry to soud so down but after being here for so long it is not a piece of cake and very expensive my parents lived in the north of france and found it better and cheaper but not as much work if you want to buy the best option is to buy a house rather than an appartment you can pick them up cheaper if you look around out of the town,things are as difficult here as any where else hope this is of some help good luck

Sorry no image available
Posted by linzi-mermaid - 15 years ago

Thank you everybody

It is going to be so tough for us to leave this delightful climate in uk.

We loved reading your stories. Dont stop sending them. Knowing that so many people have achieved there place in the sun only encourages us to be more determined. We are willing to learn french. but there is nothing like living in france to perfect it.

If you have got any tips or advice about what to look out for when looking for houses we love to know :)

It is so easy for estate agents to distract us with the views and the climate that we actually dont see very much of the house.

Thanks again and we will post when we arrive and all invited to the house warming party ( might be a while though)

Warmest regards from sunny England

Linzi & Steve

The Best labour saving device ever invented is tommorow

Sorry no image available
Posted by alx-189416 - 15 years ago

Pete - we havent actually bought the dish yet! it's another plan in the making... I'm sure if you put a posting up on AI you would get lots of advice...

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 15 years ago

quote: would just like to comment CJ Flynn's message

He was, I believe, being ironic. It was a take (ISTM) on the way many people keep their favourite quiet beach and/or restaurant secret (or even diss it in public) so that their favourite quiet beach and/or restaurant remains quiet.

Irony doesn't always survive cyberspace, however.

Mike