DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

bad optical prescription - who is responsible?

Posted by Ras-214972 - Created: 6 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

4 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 4)

Sorry no image available
Posted by belamica-188434 - 6 years ago

A couple of yrs. ago I was given a new prescription for glasses, took it to the optician to be filled, the glasses came back & I had to hold the test text 25 cm from my eyes to read it! Unacceptable, of course, and I complained, said I was not going to pay for something I couldn't use. He sent the glasses back for "repair", they came back, not much change, so he called the MD who prescribed the glasses. There had been a mistake by the person doing the tests!! So I ended up with free glasses and a decision to get my future glasses made ONCE - and correctly - in Switzerland, even if I have to pay for them myself (better prices, better quality). Who needs the hassle with incompetents?!

Sorry no image available
Posted by eurokiné-187861 - 6 years ago

if the opticuen checks the glasses & they are precise to the prescription, he can also probably test your eyes to check that the prescription was correct. If it wasnt then you should go & see if the original opthalmologist & get him to sort it out (without having to pay). If he wont you need to contact the CPAM (in person at your local office is best) to see what you can do to see another opthalmologist to do it properly (& be reimbursed). Keep all paperwork & rxpect to give copies to the CPAM
Thr CPAM are very hot on investigating health professionals who waste the systems money at the moment

Sorry no image available
Posted by Ras-214972 - 6 years ago

Thankfully I don't need the reading aid just yet, but that will be coming in the next few years I fear.
Rather I have a strong prescription which is quite critical to get spot-on. To be frank, the ophthalmologist didn't do a very thorough job in my opinion.
In the UK, it's all under the same roof and you go there to sort it out, but here, it's not so clear. I expect starting with the optician is the best, but I was wondering ultimately, if you need to spend further money to get the right thing, to whom is it you should go complain?

Sorry no image available
Posted by ChristopherL-188542 - 6 years ago

My experience of this is that the optician is usually pretty concerned and will work with you to fix the glasses (never had contacts). Apparently there are lots of problems with prescriptions for those variable focus types of eyeglasses and opticians are used to falling back to bifocals or even to 2 pairs of fixed focus glasses. Is this the type of issue you have?