Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.


help with choicing a health service top-up when we change to French system

Posted by lotkate47-884473 - Created: 7 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

1 reply

Sorry no image available
Posted by laughingboy-409220 - 7 years ago

It will depend on your personal circumstances. Are you receiving a UK retirement pension, in which case you you need to advise DWP that you are moving to France and obtain an S1 form? Have you been working and paying NI contributions in the UK up to now, in which case you would again apply to DWP or HMRC for an S1 form, which in this case would cover you for up to 2 years or so? Either way, if you are eligible for an S1 from the UK, you take this to CPAM and they will register you for healthcare. Or, will you be working or running a business in France, in which case you will pay cotisations and get your carte vitale that way?

Then once that's sorted (or before) you can shop around and get quotes for top-up. There are loads of companies and they all offer different options, so you need to decide what level of cover you want to pay for, and then choose whatever package will best meet your needs - which again will depend on your age, your general state of health, your finances, etc.

As regards income tax, the French tax year runs from 1 Jan to 31 Dec, so if you become resident in January 2013 you need to obtain a declaration de revenus form in April 2014, on which you will provide details of your income during 2013. 

Hope this helps.