DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Optician - Eye Test & Contact Lenses

Posted by kegan5 - Created: 6 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

8 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 8)

Sorry no image available
Posted by eurokiné-187861 - 6 years ago

if it s of any help to anyone there is an optician in Antibes ,on the corner of bld foch & ave guillabert who only does contact lenses. I havent needed to use them so I dont know what the service is like but would imagine it to be rather more than just handing over the box of lenses

Sorry no image available
Posted by Ras-214972 - 6 years ago

I have high pressure readings. The ophthalmologist sent me to have my corneas measured, in fact they are thicker than normal and that partially explains the high pressure readings. The ophthalmologist has sent me for no end of very high tech and expensive tests for this that and the other, but seems to have no interest what so ever in my contact lenses.

Sorry no image available
Posted by exdxb - 6 years ago

Hi,

They do an 'eye tension' (pressure) test, which consists of a little puff of wind being blown out of a machine into each eye separately. I recently had it done when having my eyes tested because I needed new glasses and discovered my tension is too high, which could lead to glaucoma if not treated (depending on other factors) and I now have to use drops. I also had an optical nerve scan and another test to check peripheral vision, both after the ophthalmologue discovered the high tension. The ophthalmo should do this tension test as a matter of course when checking your vision - if he/she doesn't, go to someone else.

Sorry no image available
Posted by kegan5 - 6 years ago

As a matter of interest do you know what kinds of tests they do in France ? i.e. to check glaucoma etc

Sorry no image available
Posted by kegan5 - 6 years ago

Thank you GAnthony :)

Sorry no image available
Posted by GAnthony - 6 years ago

Yes the process in France is different. It is the ophthalmologist who checks your eyes, and the optician who fills the prescription. They work independently of each other. Some opticians do have the equipment to test your prescription, either with glasses or contacts. In fact when I have a new prescription I always ask my optician to check on the accuracy of the prescription before he makes up the new lenses. The opthalmologist does not only concern him/herself with prescriptions, their professional job is to look for diseases of the eye that may need medical treatment. If you do go to an opthalmologist you should receive an in-depth scan of your eyes, examination of the cornea for cataracts, a look around the retina for problems, and of course a glaucoma test.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Admin-179828 - 6 years ago

If you can help, you must remember to e-mail your replies; in accordance with French regulations,
names and contact details of medical personnel must not be posted publicly to the Forum----
Classifieds & Discussions Administration
riviera.forums@angloinfo.com

Sorry no image available
Posted by Ras-214972 - 6 years ago

Yes I am also confused who should do contact lens eye checking. My ophthalmologist checked my eyes without contact lenses (a normal eye test), wrote me a prescription for glasses. I asked about my contact lenses and he just wrote a prescription for those. I went to the optician "shop" and just purchased the lenses, they just handed them over and I walked out. I went back to the ophthalmologist with my lenses and all he did was check I could see on the eye chart, without any particular check on my eyes or anything.
My experience in the UK is completely different. You just go to the optician shop and they do it all in the same premises and do extensive and thorough checking of your eyes with the contact lenses, checking fit, blinking etc with the special eye drops. I haven't experienced that level of checking here in France and not sure who has the responsibility to do that. I have been wearing lenses for a while and I am reasonably sure myself that everything is fine, but in case you need them checking properly, who does that?