DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Aga/rayburn

Posted by emily brand-306844 - Created: 5 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

4 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 4)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Kentish maid-243236 - 4 years ago

I quite agree, Breath of fresh air, it probably would be too hot here. 

When I was growing up, in the fifties, in a very badly insulated house on top of the North Downs in Surrey, it wasn't too bad because we had windows & a French door in the kitchen to give a much needed flow of air in the summer. 

When I had my Aga in Cumbria, we were in a 400 yr old stone built cottage that thrived on a constant internal heat, year round. It was only when we changed to 'modern' gas fired central heating that we began to have problems with rising damp & internal mould in the house.

However here in the Alpes Maritimes, we use the Deville during the winter months for heating & cooking (wonderful), if I need to bake bread during the summer months, I choose to do it early in the day & thus the house has cooled down (by natural cooling, not A/C) by the evening.

Sorry no image available
Posted by A Breath of Fresh Air - 4 years ago

An Aga has a base heat loss of over 1kW.  What makes a kitchen cosy in Engalnd could easily make it too hot here!

Louisa

Sorry no image available
Posted by Kentish maid-243236 - 5 years ago

Don't get me wrong here, I grew up with an Aga and also had one for nearly 20 years in Cumbria.  I absolutely love them, but their technology is outdated.

If you buy a 2nd hand one in the UK, you will need to dismantle it & then get it rebuilt here.  I sold my old worn out Aga in England for much more than I bought it, so prices of 2nd hand ones may not be as cheap as you think.

Prices here are also quite high, and of course, as the previous post said, you will need a yearly service, especially if oil fired or gas.  You could go for an electric one which would not necessarily need an annual service.

I am not sure how much you actually need an Aga, you may look at French or Italian cuisineres, which do almost the same thing.  I have a Deville cuisinere and it is wonderful, the only thing missing is the bottom oven.  It works on wood, or you can get wood pellet cuisineres. Much more green than oil too.

It is worth consideration.

Sorry no image available
Posted by LovedaCote - 5 years ago

Simple google search "aga france" http://www.agaliving.fr/une-aga-chez-vous/distributeurs-aga.aspx?gclid=CJvJyqjSu7gCFTMctAod-EUAIA

Did not look to see if there was one here.

You will also have to do yearly maintenace on these, which will cost you a fortune.