DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Another computer problem !

Posted by Humptydingo-180377 - Created: 15 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Humptydingo-180377 - 15 years ago

Sorry davidl I must have been writing my reply to legend as you posted your reply. Too much for me to take in at the moment - we're just of out to a manging invitation but will review your suggestions later. Thanks for your time.

Sorry no image available

It will take a couple days perhaps before I can get to a battery supplier but I have to say that the new one I bought was only a couple or so of quids so I think I will buy a new one anyway,  although on second thoughts your suggestion of testing may perhaps illiminate this area.  Whatever, I won't know until I lift the lid of the thing and look inside - perhaps the battery is leaking !  I will e-mail you with further progress because you're probably right that this is boring the undergarments off of the AI folks.

I will report again on AI forum once we have resolved this problem and not until then.

Sorry no image available
Posted by davidl-181802 - 15 years ago

Sorry to sound pessimistic but I think your main board (motherboard) is fried :(. Would explain why you have to pull the plug on it to turn it off as the main board controls this. The four beeps suggest that is the problem in anycase - "4 beeps -System Timer Failure - Send System Board in for Repair" from http://www.sysopt.com/biosbmc.html (sounds like you have an AMI bios)

Note: If it is the Power supply, they are easy to replace and only cost around £35 or equiv. in Euros. Probably a bit much to change the Dell one over to check it. Meter readings should be one supply of 5v and one of 12v (all DC) but can't for the life of me remember which cable colours correspond to which.... - Though not saying it is PSU related as I have a feeling that nothing would happen if it was the case.

Sorry no image available
Posted by legend_in_my_lunchtime-182603 - 15 years ago

OK OK - so now you are telling us more and more.  You've previously replaced a battery on the motherboard!! - Wow you are on your way to being an intrepid computer geek.

OK, knowing that you know how to do that, for cheap alternatives prior to last-gasp intervention with test equipment, open up the tower and take the Li-Ion battery out and get it checked at the local watch/battery kiosk near to you.  They should do that for no charge if they think they might sell a new one.  Tell them it is just 1 year old and you don't expect it to be dead otherwise they might just sell you a new one regardless.  Then, coming home with confirmed or new battery, after having replaced it, pop out the 2 DIMM memory modules and swap their positions.  (Assuming your model has the 2 DIMM memory sticks - if not, just pop out and pop back in the single DIMM stick).

If that fails, I am afraid you are into hardware diagnosis with instruments.  First thing I would check is the PSU which supplies 4 different voltages.  Hard to tell what the lack of any one them might provoke by way of symptoms but the question you ask of not being able to power off without disconnecting the mains supply is not a very clearly identifiable behaviour.  There are a number of reasons that might happen - too complicated to go into here as we are probably already boring 99.6% of the AI readership.

Sorry no image available

Good thinking but I replaced the battery last year just before I bought my new Dell - which as you say is easy to do.  This was because it was losing time -  almost an hour behind actual and also because I thought things were getting a bit lethargic - supposed lethargy also probably due to it only having 32Mb and I had gone onto the internet.

However I will check to see if it is still snuggly fitted.  It was correct for the PC and new with an expiry date of something like 2006.

What about the fact that I cannot switch it off without pulling out the plug ?

Thanks for offer davidl but I live in the Var near St. Trop. - not rich but happy!

Sorry no image available
Posted by legend_in_my_lunchtime-182603 - 15 years ago

Hey!! - for "a human (male or female) confused by jargen" (sic) you are doing REAL well in this remote diagnosis game.

By all means you can try re-seating the memory but I would not expect this to be helpful as you didn't move or disturb the system box in any way from one day to the next.

Far more likely in the case of a timer failure is a run-down in the on-board 3 volt Lithium-Ion battery.  Good news for you!! - On the NEC Direction T-series motherboards, this battery is replaceable by mere humans.

Sounds like you may have already found the manual necessary.  The procedure is detailed on page 4-11 of this manual

Good Luck!

Sorry no image available

I doubt if the timer is replaceable - probably surface mounted on the Main board. Possible steps

Remove and reseat the RAM or swap it out with another stick of RAM. (If you have more than one stick of RAM you could try just leaving one stick in slot 0 - if it doesn't work, try the other stick in slot 0) - that hopefully should check your RAM chips to make sure they work. Unfortunately I doubt if your DELL has the same type of RAM so you probably won't be able to swap them around, but worth checking.New Main board time :(

If you live near me (nr Vence/ Cagnes) I'll happily pop over and have a look for you. Email me ftrom the email link above the post.

Sorry no image available

The opening 4 bleeps are regular - almost like the BBC radio pips before the News.  Although I have manual for my NEC Direction SP233T, it is just a basic one. However I found a more detailed support manual on NEC's site which I have downloaded.

Beep Code Descriptions - 4 beeps = Timer Not Operational - Memory failure in the first 64 KB of memory, or Timer 1 on the system board is not functioning.

Can a faulty timer be the only reason for my problems.  What do you think ? If so, what is my next step with regard to the timer - is it replaceable, if so is it easily replaceable and finally is it expensive ? There are no instructions or advice in the manual.

I've been out today and not had time to open up the tower- probably have some time tomorrow when I will check the 'secureness' of all cards and parts etc.

Incidently I thank everyone who has contributed - what great pals you all are. XX

Sorry no image available
Posted by Alain-182671 - 15 years ago

Hi,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

You could try to open the tower and remove and reseat all of the cards, especially the video card, that’s the one where the cable from you screen plugs into the computer. I have seen this help many times, the cards lose connection sometime, why I have never bother to understand, you might want to carefully hoover all the dust out at the same time.

Alain

Sorry no image available

ry, just repeated some of Legends advice - will learn to read replies thoroughly before replying.... :(