DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Ants...Help

Posted by MSM2000UK-181816 - Created: 15 years ago
0 0

My appartment is in a block of flats in Monaco which was built in the 1980's and every year we have ants, or rather everyone in the block has them. We had them last year and after spraying some ant powder around they stopped coming however now they have started again and are back in force!

Does anyone know, or have a product they can recommend, which can get rid of the ants as i intend on going on holiday in the next month and so would quite like to come back home and not find that the ants have over run my flat!

Help! All suggestions welcome!

Thanks

Max

Sorry no image available

9 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 9)

Sorry no image available
Posted by stgeorge-182529 - 15 years ago

Legend !

Do you have a haiku for cockroaches (Bombay Runners about an inch long !) please ?

stgeorge

Sorry no image available
Posted by leslie-179832 - 15 years ago

Ledgend,

Thank You. I may copy and hang on wall in Kitchen

Sorry no image available
Posted by MSM2000UK-181816 - 15 years ago

I have got no idea about your Japanese stuff but to ask one question. Do the Japanese have ants that come and live in their houses? The answer is no so for now, i think ill stick to the Monagasque method which involves spraying the ants and then feeding them poison as Carol mentioned to me yesterday.

Max

Sorry no image available
Posted by legend_in_my_lunchtime-182603 - 15 years ago

OK Leslie, I'm most honoured to have made you laugh.  the "hai" part of haiku means "joke" in Japanese, but as Japanese is heavily nuanced, it can also mean something like "unusual" or "shock".  Here is my "ku" for you and Max...

My home so sacred<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

entices with Bygone gel

God’s small black sentries

Sorry no image available
Posted by leslie-179832 - 15 years ago

Hi Max.

Leslie here, I had the same problem 2 weeks ago. I have put bygone gel around the cracks in the kitchen and underthe cabinetry on the floor and no more ants withing 24 hours! i have a pet, i do not knowif you do, but you must be careful to put it out of reach of your animals. I suggest placing small drops in the corners pf the bathroom where the floor meets  the tile.

Ledgend,: I had to laugh really hard about the haiku!

Thanxs!

Sorry no image available
Posted by carolie-182474 - 15 years ago

Hi Max, the bomb can be used indoors or outdoors and totally pets or child safe so no problems.

Good luck

Regards

Carol

Sorry no image available
Posted by legend_in_my_lunchtime-182603 - 15 years ago

In the Buddhist style of things, you would be encouraged to weigh up the good to YOU of disposing of the ants versus the good to the ANTS of having access to you apartment.  I had a particularly deep meditation session this morning and I am feeling very ant friendly. Perhaps you could see the inner beauty of these creatures?  Do not look at your ants but rather into them.  Express original thought about each - preferably in haiku format - 17 syllables in a 5, 7, 5 pattern. 

If however, that is not suitable to you, Leslie's successful ant remedy is to be found here

namaste

Sorry no image available
Posted by MSM2000UK-181816 - 15 years ago

Thank you Carol but one thing i forgot to mention is that the biggest problem is that the ants are actually inside the appartment, well actually they are only in the bathrooms but thats not important. I have re-applied mastic onto the seals of the walls and so on but they keep coming through because they find the smallest gaps in the tiles.

Can the 'bomb' be used indoors aswell?

Thanks

Max

Sorry no image available
Posted by carolie-182474 - 15 years ago

Dear Max,

My sister had the same problem last year on her terrace. The powder is really only a temporary solution. I bought a round circular plastic box its called a bomb for the ants. The name of the product is called KB Fourmis(french for ants) Boite Appat. This can be bought in your local Slecker shop and is not that dear can't remeber, but it works in about 48 hours no more ants but it might be a good idea to spread the word to your neighbours with the same problem, but if you put the dish out you will have no more problems for the summer.

I hope this was of some help if not let me know.

Regards

Carol