DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Any experience painting kitchen tiles?

Posted by Violetrose - Created: 6 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

6 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 6)

Sorry no image available
Posted by ChB-184121 - 6 years ago

I would add that the cheap look is made worse by painting over the grouting. To do a proper job, you would do well to dig out a bit of the painted grouting (with a dremmel) and re-grout the joints to make it look more natural.

Sorry no image available
Posted by rivierarefurbs - 6 years ago

Just to add my two cents. Like any decorating job it is all about the quality of paint you buy. If yiu buy cheap it will look cheap but times have moved on, readily available now are ceramic and tile paints that are designed for such a job. They aren't cheap but they do the job.

Sorry no image available
Posted by selkie-187145 - 6 years ago

My sister did it with special matt tile paint and it looked really good but i have seen a lot of attempts where it looked awful

Sorry no image available
Posted by Methuselah-217505 - 6 years ago

I once moved into a flat where the tiles had been painted over. It reflected everything that is nasty about renting in this area. Cheap, tacky, and badly done.

My advice for what it's worth is don't do it.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Earthling-217786 - 6 years ago

I have never had the experience of painting kitchen or any other tiles for that matter but I certainly have seen plenty of examples of this and they looked just like tiles that had been painted over,a cheap and nasty cover up job,a total mess.

Sorry no image available
Posted by thinklucky - 6 years ago

Done it several times - Important thing is to clean them down and get all grease off them and the grouting - White Vinegar works well, but let it dry after. You need to remember however they will always look like painted tiles as the painted grouted joints betray them everytime, also bear in mind if the tiles have any sort of relief pattern on them (i.e. for feature tiles) this will show through as a raised/lowered section once you've painted over them still - Its a good way to freshen up a kitchen but don't kid yourself that it will look like you've re-tiled the place.
Finally get the right paint from your DIY outlet otherwise it can be a pretty short-term solution.
Hope that helps.