DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Batteries in watering timers?

Posted by Grumpy-226054 - Created: 6 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

5 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 5)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rebs - 6 years ago

I connected up a 9volt converter which is plugged in at the mains socket inside all the time and used this wired up to bypass the batteries. I bought this at an electrical shop in UK. Quite safe as low voltage is outside , just waterproof the connections at the timer with silicon. Never have to worry about the batteries again !!

Sorry no image available
Posted by french at heart-275009 - 6 years ago

We are here 3 months on, 3 months off, so I change mine every 6 months because I am petrified of losing plants in the summer...
I guess this may be overdoing it. I will have to think on it...

Sorry no image available
Posted by Grumpy-226054 - 6 years ago

Thanks for the replies.
This watering system is one which came with the house and there are three separate circuits, each with its own programmer. So I'll continue to change the batteries ... the last thing I need is for one to fail when I'm away. If I were here all the time, it would be possible to keep an eye on things. I've got a nice little collection of 9v batteries in a drawer ... the only other devices which seem to use them are smoke detectors.
Good point about manuals ... it's helpful that these are now available via the web.
G

Sorry no image available
Posted by GreenLeaf-314739 - 6 years ago

A non-digital voltage meter is no more expensive than a new battery and is re-usable.

You should also be able to work out how long the battery will continue to remain in use thru a little math.

They also manufacture solar powered timers that charge your batteries. They offer a competitive ROI and help the environment a little by not having to recycle (I hope you just do not throw away a perfectly good battery), packaging material(trees), petrol or diesel to purchase the new battery and on and on. Maybe this is a better system for you. Protect in Winter though.

As always, do you read the manual that came with your device? Duh, first page on all the new Gardenia timers states - "if you are going to be away or your battery has been in service for more than 1 year, we recommend to replace the battery". Did you not read your manual to figure out how to work it? If you have misplaced it, you can download them on the manufactures web-site.

Also, remember, plastic and cold do not mix, so these should be taken inside, with the battery taken out during the winter, so you are actually looking at an almost 2 year battery life-span.

Spring is here :)

Sorry no image available
Posted by GAnthony - 6 years ago

Grumpy, I do exactly he same thing. I have no idea how long these batteries last, so don't want to take the risk of the watering system failing in the hottest part of the year. So, the 9v battery is changed each year for a new one. Belt & braces situation.